Last Affordable New Inboard Performance Boat is Gone >

Last Affordable New Inboard Performance Boat is Gone

Notices

Last Affordable New Inboard Performance Boat is Gone

Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
those baja 20 were really small for 20 footer... access to ''cabin'' is really low, cabin is not usable at all (nice gelcoat finish on the other hand) I have one right now for sale and each time someone take a look, they all (up to now) find it too small for a 20... but they are nice boat ! fun to drive and not expensive to run...
Jeff, that didn't have a cabin did it? I thought it was just storage under the deck.

Michael
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Pantera is building boats ! go buy a 24.
Great boat, and super durable, but I believe they are over $80K.

Michael
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
Look at a 26 Sonic, more ammenities than the others along with a nice cabin with head room for the family.
Nice boat, but Sonic 26 is $90K with base small block power (and goes up from there). That would be outside of what I am calling "affordable".

Michael
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
Jeff, that didn't have a cabin did it? I thought it was just storage under the deck.

Michael
no cabin, that's why I wrote cabin with '' ''. mostly storage. But I had a 20 back in the day with huge cabin... big enough to sleep in there, wich is not near possible with an OL 20
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice boat, but Sonic 26 is $90K with base small block power (and goes up from there). That would be outside of what I am calling "affordable".

Michael
There are some nice used boats out there. If you are like most of us, you will want something bigger soon. If you plan on keeping a new boat for a long time, then good choice, if not you will probably be upside down on what its worth vs what is owed, if you want to gt rid of it in the next few years. That will be a problem. You can have the same issue with a used boat too ( but usually make out ok with a used boat ), so choose wisely grasshopper.

The family will prob like to have some ammenities/cabin.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Buying used is not for everyone. There are a lot of reasons to buy new.

* Person keeps things in much better condition than the average person.
* Person doesn't like holes drilled all over.
* Person doesn't like jerry rigged wiring, ie. stereo, other accessories.
* Person doesn't like things scratched up.
* Person wants a warranty.
* Person doesn't have time to fix other people's damage, neglect, aging parts, poorly done mods.
* Person wants to know how the engine(s) and drive(s) were treated from day one.
* Person wants particular options on boat.
* Person keeps things for long time.
* Person doesn't like surprises after purchase.
* Person doesn't have time to drive all over looking at used boats.

I've bought new and used cars. I have never regretted buying a new car, but there have been some used ones that I have regretted buying.

Michael
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
no cabin, that's why I wrote cabin with '' ''. mostly storage. But I had a 20 back in the day with huge cabin... big enough to sleep in there, wich is not near possible with an OL 20
Got it. Yeah, there are a few 20's with amazingly large cabins for such a short boat.

Michael
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Registered

Default Buying New Vs. Used

Buying used is not for everyone. There are a lot of reasons to buy new.

* Person keeps things in much better condition than the average person.
* Person doesn't like holes drilled all over.
* Person doesn't like jerry rigged wiring, ie. stereo, other accessories.
* Person doesn't like things scratched up.
* Person wants a warranty.
* Person doesn't have time to fix other people's damage, neglect, aging parts, poorly done mods.
* Person wants to know how the engine(s) and drive(s) were treated from day one.
* Person wants particular options on boat.
* Person keeps things for long time.
* Person doesn't like surprises after purchase.
* Person doesn't have time to drive all over looking at used boats.

I've bought new and used cars. I have never regretted buying a new car, but there have been some used ones that I have regretted buying.

Michael

I would have agreed with you about New vs Used about 10 yrs ago, but I've since come to realize that the potential cost savings of a used Boat often compensates for any increased aggrivation.
In addition buying new with a warranty does not preclude you from having plenty of aggrivation.
The last 2 boats I bought new I had plenty of regrets from day 1, and having warranty work done from a manufacturer who's plant is 1500 miles away is quite annoying and time consuming.
With that said there are benefits/detractors to each but are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I was looking on the Baja site recently, and realized that the Baja 20 is no longer available. To my knowledge, that was the last affordable inboard performance boat on the market. By affordable, I mean is about the price of an average new car, which right now is about $30K. All the boat manufacturers seemed to have moved on to larger, considerably more expensive boats, and the only thing left for affordable inboard boats are I/O bowriders, and 4 cylinder jet boats, all of which would be lucky to break 50 mph on a good day.

It's too bad, because that means there are essentially no entry level performance boats anymore to introduce people to the sport.

Michael
I agree and it's not any better in the O/B market either. Aside from Checkmate, your choices are very limited in an 18-20ft performance boat that isn't made by a custom builder.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

On the home page the hammer x is not listed.When clicking on the performance tab, the hammer x is still available. Also on the outlaw series on the home page they are not listing the 35 until you click on the outlaw
tab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.