Notices

What's a hull worth?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
BRT
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a hull worth?

I have been toying with the idea of buying another performance boat (Was formerly Bryanspeedracer on this board, had a 10 meter)

While I see a few motivated buyers, it seems that a new (To Me) twist is to part a boat out in order to try and reach the magic number the seller needs instead of selling it whole at a price that the market is dictating. Does this make sense? It really doesn't to me frankly but what do I know. For me to buy a bare hull and then power and drives, I'd have to steal the hull. I have not seen too many steals...

What has everyone else found?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

personally I think people may make a few bucks selling the parts and trailer but then they become awfully proud of their lawn ornaments.

Last edited by phragle; 10-20-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by phragle
personally I think people may make a few bucks selling the parts and trailer but then they become awfully proud of their lawn ornaments.
I'm pround of my lawn ornament as well
Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost all boats are worth more in parts than they are as a whole. If you're willing to take the time and effort to part them out, you'll probably do better.

With that said, unless it's a stepped hull, modern design, or an unusually high demand boat, the hulls generally aren't worth much at all. I know some people give them away, sell them for peanuts, or scrap them. Although, stepped hulls for example might bring in a nice pile of cash... It all depends on what it is.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

We usually give them away, sell for peanuts or sell the gauges and give the hull with them. If it doesn't go in 2 weeks it gets the sawzall
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...hey lil red...I don't suppose you got a stripped/blank 22 Velocity hull that is awaiting sawzall-surgery..?.. I'm looking for a new lawn ornament...
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

no lol but if i get one i'll let you know, 26 corsa may be next
Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I wouldn't pay anything for a bare hull unless It was something I HAD to have....
Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I wouldn't pay anything for a bare hull unless It was something I HAD to have....
And this is why we give them away. But most are not completely bare. They have wiring cuddy complete gauge panel is really all that is being bought due to it would be a paing in the ballz to rewire one so we encourge the custome to atleast buy that.
-Mike
Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
BRT
Registered

I guess that is the market Im in. The older run-of-the mill Cigarette or Fountain that hasn't been all hacked up is probably worth more to the seller in parts if that direction is an option. It would be great to own an ex-raceboat or high profile old school like an Apache hull but I can not justify spending all the money on a hull that has the balls beat off of it only to scrounge parts to make it go again. That route has to be more expensive than buying a whole boat.

I appreciate the responses. What is everyone else doing that is in the same market?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.