rbtnt
ed and lou where in the boat i heard they are both alright
the boat barrel rolled it didn't stuff
Old 06-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

khadley,

thanks for the info and glad to hear they are okay.

rbtnt
Old 06-11-2002, 12:04 PM
38Fountain

The good news is everyone will be OK.

We weren'tactually there when it happened, but we were with Ed & Lou immediately after. Lou does not have a broken back as originally thought. Lou has a fracture and compression of # vertibrae in her back - she is home already and recovering. Both are a little bruised up, but should be OK. Talked to Ed quite a bit about what happened. They were experimenting with the tunnel tab around 60-70 mph. The tunnel tab was all the way down and the boat caught a wave, turned and rolled over. Ed tried to pull out of the throttles, but it was too late. He said it rolled over so quick there was nothing he could do. Ed thinks the tab switch may have shorted or was stuck. Skinny (Hilltop marine), Mark Parker and Les Collins and the retrieval company did a great job of getting the boat right side up and towed back to Jamestown with minimal damage. We loaded the boat up on the trailer and sent it to Hilltop Marine. Interestingly, the bilge pumps were still running the next day and were able to pump the boat out once it was right side up.

Old 06-11-2002, 02:14 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Glad they are fine.

What is a tunnel tab?

B
Old 06-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Registered

I'm glad to hear everyone is alright and home safe.

I have an advantage, no tabs, everyone thinks every v should have them. In 3 seasons I've never felt I needed tabs. It's just a different bottom design, and it doesnt need tabs for some reason, dont ask me why, it's just how it is. I've been in and driven tons of offshores, and always use the tabs. I cant really explain, but when they put tabs on them it just slows them down and doesnt do anything for the ride. I've talked to the factory about it plenty, the people that insist on having them find they dont use them. Figure that one out, cuz they are absolutely nessescary on most conventional V's??
Old 06-11-2002, 05:50 PM
Registered

I'm surprised that the tunnel tab has any effect at 60-70mph, I didn't think a big cat starts packing air until higher speeds. I'm not a cat guy , just curious.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A tunnel tab can have an effect at "lower" speeds, especially if it's down & catches a large "gulp" of water through the tunnel. This could feasibly cause a stern lift and a bow steer situation. All IMHO of course.

I remember T2X making a comment (on OSO) about tunnel tabs potentially causing something like that: depending on conditions.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found T2X's comment in response to this question:
"Then could a tunnel tab have the same "trip" effect?"

T2X:
"Yup....gotta really know your stuff before you mess with a tunnel tab."
Old 06-11-2002, 06:52 PM
Uncle Toys

I saw Bob Leach's race boat at the factory (Eliminator) and spent some time checking out his tunnel tab. Looks like a big solid swim platform with hydraulics; maybe 3’ wide. Bob told me it works like regular tabs, except at speed its deflecting mainly air, so doesn’t scrub nearly as much speed. I believe it was last fall; he was leading a race when the tunnel tab stuck in the down position in a turn. He was able to finish the race, but it slowed him down considerably and he fell out of first place. The only way I could think that a tunnel tab would make you roll would be if one of the hydraulic pumps malfunctioned and the thing went cockeyed. But hell, I’m guessing there are two hydraulic pumps.

Hey Jerry May. I know your lurking out there. This would be a good time to jump in, introduce yourself, and offer an opinion.

Old 06-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #795
Charter Member

I saw this boat a couple times Saturday, Glad to hear all are OK and damage to boaters and boat was minimal. Also nice to hear Skinny and others helped out - that's what boating is all about.

Quick Reply: Wreck at Lake Cumberland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.