This can't be ROCKET Science!

Notices

This can't be ROCKET Science!

Old 06-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This can't be ROCKET Science!

Damn, I get home from work today and find that the port side front tire on my new Myco triple axle trailer is almost flat.

Boat and trailer combined weigh about 11,000 Lbs. I say no problem, grab a 2 x 6 and my 20 ton bottle jack and go to work.

Well I cannot jack it high enough to get the tire off the ground. My floor jack is messed up and won't work, so I head to Advance auto to see what the have. That was a bid waste of time. So I buy an air tank, always thought one would be handy. At least I can fill the tire and check it in the morning to see how fast it is loosing air. Well, so much for that idea. The fitting on the end of the hose will not seal on the valve stem.

I check the Myco paper work to see where is the proper placement of a jack and they don't show and jacking proceedures.

So what do I do from this point? What type of jack are you guys using and where do you place it for triple axle trailers that are torsion style axles?

HELP, I gotta get this fixed tomorrow and be set for a highway flat worse case in the future.

Thanks Mark
Old 06-27-2002, 10:30 PM
Intolerant1

I bought an inexpensive bottle jack. Mine isnt as heavy as your but they make big ones and there small enough to tote around.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 PM
B.R.S.

Put the bottle jack under the axle near the flat tire. You should be able to jack just that tire while the rest stay on the ground.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you own an F350 ? A brand new one ? Get the jack out of it and use that. It has always worked for me.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Registered

Buy a new floor jack. The rest will fold under the weight and may fall while you are under it (while putting on/off the tire). You need a new one anyway, right?
Old 06-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks H2O, That is a great idea.

Towing to Miami last year a friend had his floor jack in the back of his truck and he lost a tire and it was handy as hell. But I really don't want to have to carry a big floor jack while towing.

The bottle jack I have is a nice one, just fits under the axle, but will not lift high enough.

Thanks guys
Old 06-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Registered

I am not sure what the capacity of the jack that comes with the F350 is, but, I have used it to change tires on my trailer several times, 4 to be exact. Twice on an interstate highway. That is not fun by the way. Once at a launch ramp. The guy caught the fender and the tire. Did not leave any info. The last time was at the storage shed.

At one point I had to lift all three wheels off the ground to change the tire. I figure that was around 4,000 lbs. It's a fairly stout jack. It does take some grunt to turn the crank.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Registered

You first stack up some 2 x 4's or tapered 4 x 6 ahead of the two inflated tires, then pull your rig forward until you get both wheels on top of the wood. If the flat tire is not off the ground yet, a light duty jack will at least lift the remaining axle. Loosen the wheel nuts before pulling up...
Old 06-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Well Burt, you are the winner. I called Myco and they said the same thing.

Drive the good wheels up on something and the bad one will be off the ground enough to change it.

Damn, this is slicker than Owl ****, and you know how slick that is.

Thanks Guys
Old 06-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 x 4's beat jacking.