Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012

Notices

Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012

Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012

2011 Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race…Postponed to 2012

Unfortunately the 2011 race, that was to be a tribute to Don Aronow has been postponed to 2012, due to lack of entries. The minimum number of entrants needed to make the race both a financial and competitive success was never met and the promoters decided to cancel rather than run the race as a poor imitation of the famous race that Don Aronow actually competed in.

While the Americans have a hard time convincing their racers of the viability of a real 271 mile open ocean race, the British are preparing for their 2,500 mile open ocean race from Cowes, England to Monte Carlo, in 2013. Although still two years away, the required 50 teams have already put up their non refundable deposits and a waiting list is being added in case of any drop outs.

The Around Long Island promoters are trying to find a sponsor for next year’s event, with the hopes of attracting more pre race publicity and help to defray the overhead. A sponsor who is looking to promote their brand in the Metro New York market could use the event to showcase their product before millions of potential users.

Initially an annual three race series was proposed to allow today’s offshore boaters the opportunity to actually race over the famous old courses. In July, a 200 plus mile course for the Great Lakes, in September, the Around Long Island 271 mile event and in November, the Fort Lauderdale to Key West 210 mile run would round out the year.

The following had expressed serious interest in running this race this year.
38 Fountain w/ 4 300 HP Mercs outboards and 400 gallon fuel capacity
19 Monza w/400 small block, 70 gallon fuel capacity
24 Banana Boat / 454, 65 gallon fuel capacity
31 Sonic, 8.2 Mercs, 160 gallon fuel tanks
51 Outerlimits, 1550 HP Sterlings, 280 fuel capacity
30 Sonic w/Small blocks and Alpha drives. LAST YEARS CHAMP
52 Outerlimits w/ quad diesels

With only 2 of the above tentative entries confirmed/entered, the promoters have decided to postpone this year’s event and reschedule for next year.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that Charlie I know you and Billy were working hard to get some more entries this year. Unfortunatly in this day and age people dont seem to care much about the racing the industry was built on. Surprised more race teams havnt poised interest.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sux. Plenty of time for banter now.

Let the sh! T talking begin!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Clear your PM's Charlie.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a shame. That 3 race series sounds cool!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Sorry to hear of this Charlie. We were going to try to send out a 27 Classic as a late entry. We look forward to seeing you on the water soon.
Attached Thumbnails Around Long Island race...Postponed to 2012-photo-1.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered

Default Flights from England

Fairly fortunate I hadn't booked a flight from London - I know a few that have.

Billy & Charlie - Not your best work.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

How on Earth do you run an Event with a tribute to Don Aronow without finding your entrants?

Do you sit back and put a few posts on Offshore Only and Serious Offshore and just hope competitors will turn up to New York?

Do you work through the summer months getting competitors?

Do you work through the summer months trying to find sponsors?

This is very sad, I grew up thinking US Offshore Racers were cool - I now just got old.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

What a bunch of pussies here on LI, all i see are expensive boats every weekend flying around like tough guys in the bays now you have a venue to really run your boat as hard as you want and go down in history if you win, and no one enters! WTF..Unfortunately i am broke as hell right now so i know i shouldnt be talking but i just dont get it..On another note if it was not for this board i wouldnt of even heard of this race..maybe thats why no interest, cant rely on a dopey internet forum..how about some ads in the local papers and Marinas where the boats are maybe no one enters because no one knows about it......

Last edited by quicklt1; 09-19-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
bzsmarina

No way!! That sucks big time. All i have done for a year was get ready for this race. The hole summer i did nothing but work on the boat. Even did not take the wife on vaca. Painted a helmet with 2011 on it a pic of don with real fire in pearl. Damn i am so disapointed in the new offshore world. This is so crazy. Big huge sigh!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.