Notices

Accident in ocean city

Old 09-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Chico&Zeus
Where did you get this information??? I have seen several boats rolled, recovered, motors gone through, electronics replaced and boat is back on the water.

There is a certain 36' Skater that everyone on here has knowledge about that was back on the water in less than 10 days after it was rolled, submerged, towed back and recovered.
+1 . . . . submerging does not necessarily mean automatic total. Heck my ScarabIII sank at my dock with motors under water and i had that boat back in use in five days. Rolled/sank a race boat or two and had them back up an runnin in hours. Most of the control electronics are totally sealed and can take the submersion, its what you do to it after its raised that makes the difference. I would bet a 525EFI would run underwater if ya could get air to it . Things like gauges, starters, alternators etc dont like to be underwater but that can be dealt with if ya get to it soon enough.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not to argue w you but its obvious race boats do NOT have full coverage on them so this does NOT apply, as well as private people who choose to operate their boats with NO insurance.( no ins you sink it at dock--do i expect you throw the boat away--no...you dry that SOB out and access damage and fix it asap so you can be out on the water!)Insured Boats that get submerged and ingest water are for sure totaled, as a 525 thats in a accident like this its going to ingest water and insurance is not going to repair it and accept the liability of water damage nor it rearing its ugly head in the future. I never said they cant and wont be used again, i am talking about Insurance claims in the private recreational boat arena.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I have insurance and have had on all my boats with never a single claim.

Kilr i wasnt aiming that post at you directly just throwing my 2 cents in on the subject. Dealing with isn companies in my biz all the time on this very thing and and weather it is totaled is, many times, actually something that is negotiated through the process between insurance company and the owner.

Last edited by glassdave; 09-23-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understood---and like you I for sure avoid ins claims by all means necessarysave it for that rainy day contrary to some.

I sen a guy not winterize his boat and then call his insurance co up and put a claim in for a new motor--20ft formula w a SBC they gave him $6-7k to replace motor. I just scratch my head and wonder!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kilrbusa
Understood---and like you I for sure avoid ins claims by all means necessarysave it for that rainy day contrary to some.

I sen a guy not winterize his boat and then call his insurance co up and put a claim in for a new motor--20ft formula w a SBC they gave him $6-7k to replace motor. I just scratch my head and wonder!!!
Thats nothing, i saw one doosce bag simply blow a trans on his poorly maintained TRS boat then fake an entire hard grounding by bolting a bunch of wrecked junk parts on the boat and sticking his ins company with a gigantic bill for new everything. Fuk i actually had a log strike once on my Scorpion killing the whole starboard driveline including motor (floated valve) and i just paid it my self. I'm saving any claim for when i truly need it. Saw the froze motor gig to crazy chiit . . . . an you an I hafta pay for it

Last edited by glassdave; 09-23-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

How does it work, I have car insurance and my umbrella, I drive your car and get in an accident my insurance follows me. Would the same thing happen with a boat if I have boat insurance or can a claim be denied because I wasn't listed on the policy.

Last edited by wananewboat; 09-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wananewboat
How does it work, I have car insurance and my umbrella, I drive your car and get in an accident my insurance follows me. Would the same thing happen with a boat if I have boat insurance or can a claim be denied because I wasn't listed on the policy.
be very careful when driving a boat your not listed on. Long story short a friend of mine and his bro in law were out running bro in laws boat. Friend (very experienced multi boat owner with his own ins of all kinds) got behind the wheel and had an accident when they came up on some poorly marked fish nets. Some substantial injuries on some passengers (everyone pretty much 100% recovered) and a ridiculous year plus long battle between everyone's insurance companies including the fishing company. Many many dollars were spent on legal BS simply pointing the finger at everyone elses insurance to pay.

Last edited by glassdave; 09-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

So the driver's insurance didn't cover the accident or did it cover only him and the boat owners covered the rest. I can imagine things like that can get very involved. They always want the premium and never want to pay.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

everyone involved had every kind of insurance you could get. Boat policys, med policys, home owners, etc . . . if i remember, everyones insurance was pointing at everyone elses police to pay. Boat ins didnt want to pay because driver wasnt listed. driver wanted his ins to pay but he was not on his boat. Owners boat ins wanted personal med ins to pick up tab blah blah blah. Came down to a lot of wasted layer money from everyone trying to avoid paying. HUGE mess and in the end it ended up being what they were trying to push through in the first place or something like that. He's on the board here maybe he'll chime in.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've handled a number of claims well in excess of $50k and always was paid within 45 days.

Being an owner of a bodyshop I handle claims every day and know the ins and outs. Most boat 'bodyshops' never deal with an insurance company.

Get somebody in your area in your corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.