Think you know of a low lake?

Notices

Think you know of a low lake?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Publc Ramps

Heard on the news this morning, the last public ramp closed at Lake Travis.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Thanks for that insight. There are some greenie whackos out there in the media trying to portray it as the end of the world.
Ha, well, I'm actually a greenie/tree-hugger myself. It's true, you can be a tree-hugger and still be into performance boats. I explain to my tree-hugger friends that I (unlike them) actually KNOW the exact size of my carbon footprint, and even with my power boats it's a hell of a lot lower than theirs (for a number of reasons). And I even drive a big truck. But they tend to magically forget all about that anyway when it's time to go out on the boat. :-)

But yeah, to your point, it (lake Travis) tends to get exaggerated and over-hyped because it makes a good story. Like someone else posted - it went down to 615 in 1954. We're no where near that yet.

Having said all of that, there are some places, and not far from there that are suffering a lot. And our cattle industry has taken a huge hit.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
It looks like there is a LOT of high-end real estate there that doesn't seem to be what it used to be.
You hit the nail on the head. The real estate around the lake is HIGH
High and dry
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow thats unbelievable, well you know what they say

Water's the biggest problem in the world,
for some its hard to get, for others its hard to get rid of,,,,,
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last weekend we had the end of season poker run on Lake Travis with 7 stops over two days and a killer party at Carlos and Charlies..
This Monday night I drove over by boat to Carlos for food and drinks.
What the idiot news media forgets to mention is Lake Travis is still over 150ft deep in the channel, my boat slip is right off shore and has 30+ft under it,its also 60 MILES long,, all those pictures are shallow coves that dry up quick ,,Lake Travis is not a constant level lake and can and will go up and down 60ft in a single year..
Me parked at courtesy docks at Carlos two weekends ago..
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...53379291_n.jpg
Always gets me how easily people can be convinced the sky is falling by the media..
Are we low on water? Sure
Is Lake Travis empty? Hell no.
Its the ONLY source of water for Austin the capitol of Texas, trust me if it was anywhere near dry you WOULD be hearing about it

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 09-21-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Man that is horrible..

John jr
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

At least you might have a chance to find anything you lost in the past....
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Nice pic....Ive often wondered what would be on the bottom if you drained one of the thousands of lakes up here......answer.....eff all !!!
If you look hard enough you might find Jimmy Hoffa....

There are at least two pairs of prescription sunglasses and a box anchor a drunk friend threw in without securing the bitter end.

UD
Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 2,943 Likes on 978 Posts

Like Uncle Dave said Lake Nacimeinto which is located just west of Paso Robles (where the Ca. Mid State fair is held) and about a 3 1/2 hour drive north of L.A. is actually something of a freak lake. It drops very fast because the farmers below the lake have the water rights and will drain it dry, even during a droubt!

The good (and again freaky) part is the lake actually raises a minimum of TEN FEET for every ONE INCH of rain fall! I dont know how it works but you can actually watch the lake rise when it rains hard.

By the end of 2009 Lake Nacimiento had fallen to roughly a 15% water level and was on the verge of being completely shut down (pending rain fall).

Around Dec. of 2009 the rain arrived with vengence. During the winter the area saw some great rain fall (nothing record setting) but above average. The below photos shows what happened. Note the dates on the camera. They are actual and not altered.
Attached Thumbnails Think you know of a low lake?-12-25-09.jpg   Think you know of a low lake?-01-18-10.jpg   Think you know of a low lake?-01-20-10.jpg  

Think you know of a low lake?-01-22-10.jpg   Think you know of a low lake?-02-02-10.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 2,943 Likes on 978 Posts

Note that the date stamps are with in days of each other and see how dramatic the water levels came up....
Attached Thumbnails Think you know of a low lake?-02-28-10.jpg   Think you know of a low lake?-03-11-10.jpg   Think you know of a low lake?-04-06-10.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.