Notices

Magic vs. Nordic?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I do like Lavey's boats, the problem is that there just are not many of them on the market. I imagine that could be a good sign! But does not help me LOL

Can you elaborate on why you like one over the other more? I'm trying to get some solid differences other than just preferences. I know styling can push people different directions, but I'd love to know if a certain hull is super inefficient etc.
Aside from the Magic which is an order of magnitude lower quality than the others listed.

(based on looking at 2 of them being rigged at different facilities after the bankruptcy )

The others are great boats as well, fantastic boats actually, but there are differences on top of the stuff I mentioned before.

The Lavey is fully interlined and cleat openings are cupped and drained.

The gunwhale storage is a molded Into the hull vs. added on as part of the interior- ie fewer pieces.

All have angled footrests, and 100 gallon gas tanks. (belly)
Engine compartment storage bins are a nice touch.

Its a pretty close field but the Lavey 2750 is the fastest per given HP if anyone has different third party tests - throw em out.

Gelcoat...thats a matter of taste, Nordic and Lavey are both superb The Sunny is painted vs gel. (I prefer gelcoat)

Uncle Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
boat-tests.pdf (81.8 KB, 217 views)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Dave, where did you get the Boat Test Report? That's a nice list.

Michael
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
Dave, where did you get the Boat Test Report? That's a nice list.

Michael
I got it from one of the boat websites years ago.(dont recall)
a fan compiled the data.

Its the most complete third party compilation I've seen.

All the spot checks Ive made with my 15 year old mag collections have been spot on.

Uncle Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
All have angled footrests, and 100 gallon gas tanks. (belly)
Engine compartment storage bins are a nice touch.

Uncle Dave
Dave, unless things have changed with Nordic there is no angled floor footrest, you stand flatfooted which is a drag after a while, part of its lake boat heritage for sure.

And the tanks on the 28 are side saddle tanks (unless again, Nordic has changed the designs) which never seemed very "offshore" to me.

If Nordic has changed any of these items I'll stand corrected.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the lavey open bows built as a closed bow then cut out & finished off? With the cushionsoverlapping the fiberglass on top gives me that impression.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sunsation0032
Are the lavey open bows built as a closed bow then cut out & finished off? With the cushionsoverlapping the fiberglass on top gives me that impression.
No, the open bow versions have different upper deck molds than the closed bow versions.

Uncle Dave
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

That is a great list. DLed and saved for sure. I know my Nordic has flat foot rests and side tanks. I dont use the foot rests all that much since I have a hard time seeing over the bow sitting down, I stand most of the time lol. Sucks being a little guy sometimes.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Gunwhales (Gunnels) and cockpit comparison.

When I looked at the Heat at the boatshow I saw several things I wasnt sure I liked.

The gunwhales as stated earlier aren't really usable as storage and they aren't part of the boat mold itself but are a part of the interior.
The Lavey Gunwhale has the same 2 cupholders and a nice smooth molded storage bi thats pretty deep, and the driver and pilot cupholder hold 2 and are inserted as well.

Not sure about the the glovebox on the Heat- this one had no latch and just flopped around- On the ocean this would drive me nuts.

I think the pieces sticking out on the interior of the heat are to mount the bimini ? (heat guys chime in) either way a screw sticking out like that is sub optimal when running.

Normally Id comment on the boatshow examples lack of a bowrail but the comment isnt valid because Capn is looking at an open bow, but between my boat and the boat show heat Im unsure what you hold onto to tie the bow off at a mooring. - Normally you dont because I dont think in over 30 trips Ive ever seen a Heat at Catalina.

the 2750 closed bow is smaller inside than the heat and the cosmetically cooler(to me) flush hatch makes the headroom a bit worse than normal inside the Lavey V section.

This heat must not have a belly tank because there is a ski locker- cool. Between a ski locker and a belly tank Id pick the belly tank, but must say a ski locker is pretty cool.

Also with the Lavey the seat mounts are actually tapped, and there is a sheet of aluminum sandwiched between the two deck halves- you can hang the lavey upside by the seats they wont budge.

I would be proud to own a Sunny a Heat, or a Lavey, and and not trying to pass judgement just point out the details that I have noticed over time.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Magic vs. Nordic?-gunwhales.jpg   Magic vs. Nordic?-lavey-cockpit.jpg   Magic vs. Nordic?-hat-deck-profile.jpg  

Magic vs. Nordic?-dsc05907.jpg   Magic vs. Nordic?-dsc05906.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 09-27-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Yeah thats a bimini top mount. My glovebox (for a lack of a better term, I will never put gloves in there) has a little double stick on it, and well, its hard to open lol. So no issues with that.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Another view....

UD
Attached Thumbnails Magic vs. Nordic?-gunwhale.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.