Outerlimits sets new record >

Outerlimits sets new record

Notices

Outerlimits sets new record

Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I also think it's good to see two extremes when it comes to the caliber of boats we've had win over the last two years. It not only goes to show that anyone can win if they can just finish, but it also showcases some of todays fastest machines and opens the door for more and better future competition.

I would expect to see faster boats and more competitors in the coming years. As long as mother nature is charitable, I would also expect to see the records continue to get broken by quite a bit, as we saw with the OB record this year. It's fantastic to see the overall record broken this year, but the record was only broken by the slimmest of margins. Given the technology advancements we've seen over the last 30 years I have to think there's plenty of room for the faster boats (especially the cats) to really blow the doors off today's record under the right conditions.

Let's hope we are seeing the beginning of a renewed era of offshore racing in the US!
couldn't agree more........this is why I stated in another thread not to trash the low turnout of last year and the almost low turnout this year.........to me there are a few people who have to step up to the plate......isn't it funny how a ILMOR powered "V" bottom holds the record now.......
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The World's number one fan and I went to the site on Saturday as we generally do in support of Billy's events. I applaud the concept of a change in the direction of Offshore Racing back to basics. The "spectator friendliness" approach has drawn an array of friends, relatives and hangers on as well as locals whose curiousity is often drawn by a need to find something to do with the family within a few miles of home, but has not produced anything remotely resembling a fan base. The old marathon races both off and in shore were covered extensively in the print media and later on via TV generating significant worldwide interest (Don Aronow was a household name to boating enthusiasts around the world). I think the lesson here is that the vision of man against nature with no holds barred is very compelling even to the point that last weeks ill fated cruise to Bermuda was of more interest than most of today's circle races in bays and lakes. The fact that people have been killed does not legitimize a motor sport other than to bring into question its attention to safety and rescue rules and standards....and by no means should it make it any more or less interesting to a true race fan. Unfortunately there have been fatalities in boat racing going back to the very earliest years and that is a totally different subject for another forum.

Aside from the petty griping on this thread with a clear agenda to stir the pot, I think that the interest and controvery created is needed to improve the vison of "Offshore" racing and bring it back to where it belongs...Offshore. There are many purpose built race boats that belong on closed courses at high speeds ranging from small outboard hydros through tunnel boats and up to the amazing Unlimiteds that are much more thrilling than a menagerie of vee bottoms with a couple of guys on board going in GPS controlled circles.

To me, anything that was designed for rough water, navigation and endurance belongs on a course that challenges these attributes. A 50 foot cat trying for top speed on a lake is like a mountain climber on a football field....simply illogical.

I applaud the Around Long Island Marathon revival and, as a veteran of the original, know full well how this event grabbed the imagination of every performance boater in the country for years.

Congrats to the "Joes" especially the guy who went back to his roots.... Joe Sgro...and congrats to Billy and Charlie for, at the very least, trying something different, but very familiar .

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Outerlimits sets new record-user52758_pic4828_1254336428.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 09-27-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
Do everyone else a favor princess and stay the hell away. Your like the new Mini Hawk ruining every thread out there with your BS. You have a problem with me come face me in person. Keep the thread on topic. I know Billy and Charlie will have next year bigger and better!! Lets see if someone will come out to beat the new records set this past weekend!!
When someone verbally or personally attacks me, I obviously take offense to it; as do you. Your arrogance and close mindedness is annoying especially when you dont have a pot to piss in. I have been on topic the entire thread numbnuts. I think you have me confused with "Mastercraft".

Sorry to all others whom I may have side tracked.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
isn't it funny how a ILMOR powered "V" bottom holds the record now.......
Honestly I think the Ilmor is a tough engine to beat for this type of racing. They are tough as nails, run strong, and get pretty decent fuel ecconomy. The Indy drive is a great drive too, although I think an Arneson might be a better drive for long distance endurance racing.

OL is IMO years ahead of the competition in their hull design and even more so in their layup schedule/materials. So IMO, the light and efficient OL vee hull beating out the old cat record is no real suprise either.

With that said, purpose built racers could no doubt smash this record in the right conditions. A large light weight cat with big diesel power comes to mind...
Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
When someone verbally or personally attacks me, I obviously take offense to it; as do you. Your arrogance and close mindedness is annoying especially when you dont have a pot to piss in. I have been on topic the entire thread numbnuts. I think you have me confused with "Mastercraft".

Sorry to all others whom I may have side tracked.
You have NO idea...........period!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

Look, somewhere this has gotten off track as to our feelings re racers of today. As far back as you can find in my posts, I have always said that a racer is a racer. The only reason the offshore racer of today is on the shore course, is because that is where the promoters and race organizations put him..If there were a race down a flooded street in Hoboken, there would be racers that show up. We are not now and never have criticized other racers.

What we HORBA and NPBA, are trying to do, is to open up the eyes of boat owners that there is a real test of both man and equipment that can be had by redoing some of the old race courses. We proved that with this 271 mile race in honor of Don Aronow.

If more people come out and try it, sooner or later a better breed of boat will be made, as some of the stuff today just honestly wouldn't make it. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Once that becomes a reality, then you will see the manufacturers jumping back in to prove that they make a product that can really be used in a safe manner out of sight of land.

With this past win of Ilmor, in the old days Carl Kiekhaefer would have been back at Fond du Lac running dynos non-stop to make sure that Mercury would be the winner next time. That is the passion we need to see again in the sport.

Rich and Scot and some others thanks for your thoughtful supporting comments.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=Top Banana;3513303]

If more people come out and try it, sooner or later a better breed of boat will be made, as some of the stuff today just honestly wouldn't make it. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Once that becomes a reality, then you will see the manufacturers jumping back in to prove that they make a product that can really be used in a safe manner out of sight of land.

Good point!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone with my comments. My point was that I am excited to see the interest generated by Charlie, Billy, and all of the participants and volunteers.

I can only hope that Charlie and Billy continue their efforts and that this is the rebirth of offshore racing.

Are there any preliminary plans to bring back any of the other "lost" events?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone with my comments. My point was that I am excited to see the interest generated by Charlie, Billy, and all of the participants and volunteers.

I can only hope that Charlie and Billy continue their efforts and that this is the rebirth of offshore racing.

Are there any preliminary plans to bring back any of the other "lost" events?
Which boat is that in your avitar? cant tell.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Which boat is that in your avitar? cant tell.
Shadow cat I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.