Outerlimits sets new record >

Outerlimits sets new record

Notices

Outerlimits sets new record

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
One other point of clarification.....Sorry Billy and Charlie....

Don Aronow in no way "pioneered" the Around Long Island Marathon. He entered it 4 or 5 times, I believe, out of the 8-10 years it lasted before the event moved to the Jersey shore as the Hennessey Grand Prix and later Benihana, Walsh, etc, etc.

The race was started by a group of LI boat dealers, racers, and builders in concert with folks like Guy Lombardo, Al Grover, Rick Stein and others. It became a staple on the Offshore circuit due to interest from Mercury Marine, Glastron, Eltro, Crusader, American Finn and the APBA's new Offshore special events which included the Miami Nassau race and the Hurricane Classic. In those days inshore and offshore marathon classes were frequently mixed together and some boats raced in both. In fact a twin engine 18 foot Powercat won it one year with Odell Lewis and Johnny Bakos driving for the "Old Man" long before Donzi or Formula were a gleam in Don's eyes... (See Below). This was in the late 50's and early 60's before Aronow was Aronow..... and Sam Griffith was the biggest name in the sport.

It is a fitting tribute to Don that the revival is dedicated in his honor, but he in no way was a founder of the event.

T2x

Rich.....as you are just a "Johnny come lately" on this thread and misssed all of the good natured jabs of the earlier thread....on which I stopped posting .....Sam Griffith was mentioned quite clearly, along with photos of course, and at no time did either Billy or myself claim that Don had founded the Around Long Island marathon.

However, of your last three section explanation of offshore racing....I wasn't quite sure what that was, but Mikey from Finland told me it was OK.....so I totally agree.

Nice to have you back, but feel free to really tell us how you feel.
Attached Thumbnails Outerlimits sets new record-sam-griffith0013-small-.jpg   Outerlimits sets new record-sam-griffith0022-small-.jpg   Outerlimits sets new record-sam-griffith0005-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 09-29-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

WTF? Rich? Are you snowed in? I haven’t read a boat novel like this since Jules Verne’s 20m leagues under the sea. LOL
Keep it coming, I enjoy your “narratives”.
No one referenced the recent race, as Don’s, or that he is the founder of the event. It is simply to commemorate his legacy.
Couple things regarding the “Record braking”. Just IMHO.
While I congratulate the OL team and it’s great that they did it in record time, I use the term strictly in mathematical reference.
I don’t consider it as the same “type or run” that it was done long ago. This is like saying the Concord broke the record of “Spirit of St Louis”. Different era, different equipment.
I think there should be two major categories in any “Old School” race.
A) Similar old school boats with similar HP running the “old” course, and B) new boats with new equipment. Each category should have Simple sub categories. IE; A-1 “V”s up to 30’ A-2 “V” over 30’ A-3” cats up to 30” etc. I would not based the classes on number of engine and displacement but on HP.
It would be nice to see a whole slue of events commemorating the “Grates Racers” of yesteryear..
Don is not the only great racer ever lived.

(Hint hint... )
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Just in from Billy and the NPBA www.nationalpowerboat.com

2011 Don Aronow Marathon
Race Around Long Island

RECAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the comeback of the event that Don Aronow pioneered back in the early 60’s.

Billy Frenz
Sorry Charlie..... But this is the quote I am referring to. I am not sure what you folks meant...but this is what you wrote

Rich

Last edited by T2x; 09-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Having to divide the fleet into classes is what my friends in the business world call "a high-class problem." Given the limited interest so far and the various "equalizers" inherent in such a run, I don't see a need for it. Yet.
Has to be close to 50 entrants IMO for a need to split up the field even to 2 classes...

Who needs 10 classes with 5 participants and 3 gets a prize per class....people would get bored stiff at the prize ceremony.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Sorry Charlie..... But this is the quote I am referring to. I am not sure what you folks meant...but this is what you wrote

Rich
Maybe they meant "Pioneered" as in "helped to make famous"???

In reality if his name hadn't been attached to this race we probably wouldn't be discussing it today....doubt anyone would click on the link saying "Rich's Memorial Long Island Race"..

Ha, Ha... J/K
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
I This may be a race to race for the sake of racing, old school style. If you win great, if not, at least you raced.
+1

* The Hunting Dogs are back....

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-29-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

Rich
Pioneered vs Founded

We meant he was one of the early pioneers of the race, one of the early entrants, participants.

Founders would have been, the Billy and Charlie within the boat dealers community back in the 50's.

Confusing use of words, but Mikey from Finland proofed it for us!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Pioneered vs Founded

We meant he was one of the early pioneers of the race, one of the early entrants, participants.

Founders would have been, the Billy and Charlie within the boat dealers community back in the 50's.

Confusing use of words, but Mikey from Finland proofed it for us!!!
Never get it a ground war in SE Asia, and never get into an argument with T2x. This is basic stuff yet people keep repeating these mistakes.

Last edited by Marginmn; 09-29-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Love outerlimits and would like to own one. But wonder how the epoxy will look in years to come after it takes a beating from the sun a few years of age
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The epoxy is covered. If it were raw epoxy exposed to high concentrations of UV I would be concerned, but as long as the epoxy has a barrier (paint, clear-coat, cover, even wax to a certain extent), there wont be a problem. Those boats will be around for a long, long time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.