Notices

First Poker Run

Old 06-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Poker Run

Just had to comment on my first Poker Run this weekend. (First as a driver in my own boat anyway.) What a blast! This run is one of the highlights of the TOPPS season. We ran all over Galveston Bay - as far across as you can go, then down to Galveston and back up the Houston Ship Channel. Stops included a favorite dockside bar called Stingaree's for free "Stingaritas". Then on to a sort-of resort in Galveston for lunch and a much-needed dip on the pool. After a bumpy ride up the Ship Channel, we stopped at one of the member's houses - BIG pool with swim-up bar and Hooters wings. We were far from the fastest boat on the run, but "Live Wire" ran well and my friends and I had a great time. I never realized just how demanding a run like that came be. I was SO exhausted when we got back, but it was totally worth it.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:32 AM
Registered

Good to hear Jana. Glad you had a good first run. You have any pics?
Old 06-10-2002, 10:48 AM
wilerty

Sorry ... hate to be a wet blanket, but ... go on a Poker Run or go drinking ... but don't do both.

Old 06-10-2002, 01:44 PM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by wilerty
Sorry ... hate to be a wet blanket, but ... go on a Poker Run or go drinking ... but don't do both.
Don't worry. Jana was the "designated"driver the entire trip. That is, till the after party Only us crew members had a "little".

As for pix, I will get them developed this week & post them.

Great Job Jana!!

Old 06-10-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

Thumbs down Drinking and Poker Runs

wilerty: I totally agree with you. I am probably the most sober boat driver you will meet. I don't drink much to begin with, and when I'm driving the boat - NEVER. When she's put away for the day, maybe. As OutlawBayB said, my crew had the 'ritas - one each. (The freebies were limited to one per person.) I was doing Gatorade, water, iced-tea. That run was demanding enough without alcohol involved.
I'll be getting some helicopter shots later in the week. Don't know if I'll be allowed to scan them, since they were by a professional photographer. If not, we'll just have to have OutlawBayB's pictures.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jana,
Sounds like you had the perfect weekend!! Congrats on doing the drive for the run.. like you said it will keep you in shape!! Lets see the pics!! Sounds like you have figured out the trailer backing program..

Have fun...

Dick
Old 06-10-2002, 08:25 PM
Registered

It was a good poker run, just to short. The stops lasted to long, and there were only 3 of them.

Cant wait till destin.

Curtis
Old 06-10-2002, 09:21 PM
OutlawBayB

Yahoo-I tried to get a snapshot of you whizzin' by us!!
It may come out as a yellow blur

I must admit, it's a SWEET RIDE!

Will you be in Corpus? I might go-to watch that is

Old 06-10-2002, 09:54 PM
wilerty

Jana ... I apologize.

Old 06-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Registered

Wilerty - No prob! It was a logical assumption.

Mr. Gadgets - No, I don't know squat about trailers. The Blazer couldn't pull the Fountain if it wanted to. This Poker Run was right in my backyard. The place where I dry stack is a block from the hotel where started and ended.

Yahoo - Good seeing you on the run. (Mostly as an orange blur, like OutlawBayB said.) I think a two-day run would be cool - longer legs and more stops. This was plenty for my first time though. Oh yeah, the stops were only too long for you 100+ mph types . You'd been there an hour when we finally rolled in!