Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   how much do broker charge to sell your boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/263369-how-much-do-broker-charge-sell-your-boat.html)

jeff32 10-02-2011 12:37 PM

how much do broker charge to sell your boat?

is it a %? is it a flat fee? if so, any minimum fees?

What are / were your experience?

thanks!

flying J 10-02-2011 01:22 PM

7% here at lake of the ozarks with Performance Boat Brokrage

MidOcean 10-02-2011 03:10 PM

While some charge less, the standard is 10%. And, unlike real estate brokers who split the commission between the buying and selling agents, yacht brokers usually do a 7% to the buying broker and 3% to the listing one. House splits also vary but in Fort Lauderdale, the epicenter of yacht brokers, usually the salesman retains 60% of the commission with the house keeping the remaining 40%. Again, this is based on Fort Lauderdale, but many other licensed brokers around the country follow this standard.

jeff32 10-02-2011 03:18 PM

what if the broker has to show the boat and and use his mecanic guy to get the engines started on hoses to different customer, like 4 - 5 times, roughly 1 hour of tech time each time... they absorb these 4-5 hours in their commission? or charge the customer above the commission?

jeff32 10-02-2011 03:23 PM

by the way, the case I'm in right now is for a 12-15 k boat... so small money involved to aborb many expenses...

Crossett 10-02-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 3517922)
by the way, the case I'm in right now is for a 12-15 k boat... so small money involved to aborb many expenses...

The one time i've sold a boat through a broker it was within this range. We agreed on a price (13.5k) that I would get and they would take anything over that they could sell it for.

firehawkcat 10-02-2011 09:00 PM

Performance boat brokage at LOTO sells alot of boats

MidOcean 10-03-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 3517922)

Mechanical work is extra. If it's a 12k or 15k boat... well, that's the cost of dealing with lower priced assets. What some guys will do is get you to reveal a "best-lowest-price." And then get what they can over that... 2-4k maybe... As long as it's disclosed it's perfectly legal/ ethical. Not many real brokerages handle assets under 30k. At the end of the day, it's just not worth it.

Hope this helps

All the best,

T

MidOcean 10-03-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by firehawkcat (Post 3518168)
Performance boat brokage at LOTO sells alot of boats

Ditto. I've heard a lot of good things about these guys.

spk1 10-03-2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by MidOcean (Post 3518479)
Mechanical work is extra. If it's a 12k or 15k boat... well, that's the cost of dealing with lower priced assets. What some guys will do is get you to reveal a "best-lowest-price." And then get what they can over that... 2-4k maybe... As long as it's disclosed it's perfectly legal/ ethical. Not many real brokerages handle assets under 30k. At the end of the day, it's just not worth it.

Hope this helps

All the best,

T

+1

If the brokerage charges 10% comission, the sales man if he lists and sells will get 5%, and if he lists and some one else sells it, its 2.5%. So that will not leave him alot of room to fix anything out of pocket. Best be is to list it in a range that will allow you to fix it at your cost or to give the buyer a discount to fix.