Notices

Winter Cover

Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Winter Cover

Long story short, I didnt feel like spending $400-$500 on shrink wrap this year...Instead we built a solid frame with scrap wood, and covered it with a tarp...yes i am a cheap ass.

This is where I am trying to get clever...Has anyone ever used pallet plastic wrap to go over the outside to make sure everything is neat and tightly secured?

I figure if this can become a repeatable process, I have only spent: $75 on tarp, and $25 on pallet wrap. Next year I will use the same protected tarp and new pallet wrap for $25. Any input to this cheap b@stard would be appreciated . Saving $300 this year and $375 each year after that would make me happy.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

My input would be that I have a generic "go-fast" FULL boat cover that spans the entire boat and covers about 1 foot down on both sides of the rub rail. It is not some custom job and hence didn't command that kind of price.

This has lasted 5 winters for me and several more for the guy before me and shows NO signs of wear. You might want to just do a taste test on going that route. You might find you have a cleaner boat come summer, and less work each winter.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-BAJA-31...item2eb61f04b2

Would be my suggestion.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a tip that I have used over the last 20 yrs . I have used the same shrink wrap for 2-4 yrs , how ? Well in spring just loosen up a few of the strings and simply snap back over . I had a full factory cover under shrink wrap as the shrink wrap will burn all edges as it is very rough on gelcoat or paint
Old 12-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product...shipping+cover
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Just a tip that I have used over the last 20 yrs . I have used the same shrink wrap for 2-4 yrs , how ? Well in spring just loosen up a few of the strings and simply snap back over . I had a full factory cover under shrink wrap as the shrink wrap will burn all edges as it is very rough on gelcoat or paint
we tried to do that with last years shrink wrap, unfortunately had no place to put it. we ultimately ended up scrapping it. wish I had it right about now.

IMO it doesnt matter what you do to protect the gel coat, there will be some form of rubbing. Even fresh shrink wrap kills the sides. Any type of wind will likely result in the vibration of shrink, tarp, cover, etc against the side. No matter how tight.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

hey justin....
put a sheet of poly under the tarp. (you know, a giant plastic drop cloth) it is softer on the fibreglass and it keeps out the water when the canvas starts to crack due to ice and weathering.
i don't think you'll ever eliminate the wind movement, so work with it. let the cover allow the boat to breathe so you don't get moisture build-up, and use the poly sheet as a buffer layer...i've been using this set-up for years, and it works fine.
ps: don't forget your mildew bags..
c
poly sheet $15 at Lowes for 50' in a width to fit your boat, plus your canvas...all good for 3-4 years if you keep/sweep the snow off...$90/4=$22.50 per year...that's as cheap as you're gonna get! and it really does work fine.

Last edited by ChristianGott; 12-19-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Just looking at everything in perspective here.

$400 per year is the cost of shrink wrap = $4000 over 10 years

$300 per year saved using a questionable covering over 10 years is $3000.

That said, can you live with the scratches, mildew, damage to the vinyl, etc. that will add up to $3000+ in repairs during the same time frame if the boat is not protected properly.

I hate shrink wrap too (spending $400/yr on disposable protection seems crazy) so I spent the money on a full trailering cover.
It cost me $2500 (got a good deal from a friend and if you shop around you can find something close) and covers the whole boat to the chines. I have to say after 4 winters, the cover is still like brand new and the interior is as fresh as the day I bought the boat. Not a scratch or mar on the fiberglass and the boat smells fresh even after a long winters nap. It also allows me to fully cover the boat on long tows or during the hurricane or other threats.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by Tom A.; 12-20-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Just looking at everything in perspective here.

$400 per year is the cost of shrink wrap = $4000 over 10 years

$300 per year saved using a questionable covering over 10 years is $3000.

That said, can you live with the scratches, mildew, damage to the vinyl, etc. that will add up to $3000+ in repairs during the same time frame if the boat is not protected properly.

I hate shrink wrap too (spending $400/yr on disposable protection seems crazy) so I spent the money on a full trailering cover.
It cost me $2500 (got a good deal from a friend and if you shop around you can find something close). I have to say after 4 winters, the cover is still like brand new and the interior is as fresh as the day I bought the boat. Not a scratch or mar on the fiberglass and the boat smells fresh even after a long winters nap. It also allows me to fully cover the boat on long tows or during the hurricane or other threats.

Just some food for thought.
While I agree with some of what you have said, I 100% disagree with the "if you shrink wrap or use a custom cover the boat will be cleaner and less scratched come spring".

I had our boat professionally shrink wrapped last year and come spring...we had tons of mildew and tons of rub burns from the plastic. I dont fault the installer "he does hundreds of boats a winter". Its simply the nature of the beast. Even shrink wrap leads to damaged interiors and rubbed paint. The plastic shutters in the wind and any trapped moisture will lead to mildew. Those are the facts.

In a perfect world I would store indoors, but I dont have that luxury. So now I am trying to find the best alternatives while saving a few dollars.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry you had trouble with the shrink wrap.
When I had my Kryptonite, I never did. I always had mine vented and I put buckets of Damp-rid in the cabin, cockpit, and bilge. I also put an open box of fabric softener sheets in the cabin to keep out critters and make it smell nice.
As for the full cover, it depends again on the cover itself, how you prep the boat and where you store it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.