Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: legal advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26402-ot-legal-advice.html)

euby 06-12-2002 10:05 AM

OT: legal advice

A friend of mine is going thru a divorce and its getting real nasty....but anyway, at court yesterday the judge(female) ordered my friend to drug rehab(6 weeks), anger management classes(26 weeks), and take all of his guns to be destroyed! This guy has never been to jail or even had a speeding ticket. He has never had any domestic violence, drug, or liquor issues. He even has a permit to carry a conceled weapon issued by the state. My question is...how does this not violate his constitutional rights to own guns?

His x has been caught in lie after lie by the judge but at the end of court yesterday she told the judge she was scared he would do something to her and boom....he gets slammed with all these classes (about $2000 worth) and turn his guns over to the sheriff.

I know this doesn't pertain to this board...but i was hoping one of you legal types could explain.:mad: or one of you liberals :D

Risk Taker 06-12-2002 10:10 AM

All the woman has to do is say she fears for her/childs life, and the guy will get SCREWED everytime !!!! :mad: :mad: Female judge should have been the first bit of bad news......

THRILLSEEKER 06-12-2002 11:12 AM

So what if a man says he is scared for his life???
:mad: :

mad: I was watching a thing on TV about women who kill their husbands or hire it done so they can collect insurance money.

Philip 06-12-2002 11:41 AM

Judges are not taking the violence potential lightly. According to our local Paper, Sat. night the police responded to a domestic violence call in our town, the police waited till the parties calmed down, and then left. At 9:00 am Sun. someone brought a women to the Emerg. room at our local Hosp. and ran away. The 35 year old women was dead from beating wounds. The police went to the boyfriend from the night before, and he confessed. Very tragic. I hear the feeling is, better safe then sorry. I am not saying your friend is violent. but the courts are one sided.

Dean Ferry 06-12-2002 11:42 AM

RT is right, all she has to do is SAY that she is scared, and the courts will REACT!! Having been thru a nasty divorce myself, I can tell your that your buddy needs all the documented incidents of his Ex's crazy behavior to show the court an established history or trend, I.E. Lying about everything!! I wish him the best of luck because the US divorce court system is definitely slanted towards the woman!!! I hope he has a GREAT lawyer, sounds like he will need one if not!
Hope this helps,
MD

Risk Taker 06-12-2002 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Philip
Judges are not taking the violence potential lightly. According to our local Paper, Sat. night the police responded to a domestic violence call in our town, the police waited till the parties calmed down, and then left. At 9:00 am Sun. someone brought a women to the Emerg. room at our local Hosp. and ran away. The 35 year old women was dead from beating wounds. The police went to the boyfriend from the night before, and he confessed. Very tragic. I hear the feeling is, better safe then sorry. I am not saying your friend is violent. but the courts are one sided.
I agree, in this circumstance they should have hauled his ass in. But Euby's buddy has absolutely no history of any violent behavior whatsoever !!! That's what I'm talking about....all a woman has to do is cry rape, and the guy is guilty until proven innocent.......

euby 06-12-2002 11:56 AM

thats what gets me....there is absolutly no evidence to back up her claims. If he would have said I'm scared of her ....would she have to go to all these BS classes and turn in her guns(she has 2 that I know of) Probably not, and this is Indiana where girls can skin a buck and run a trout line.

G-Force 06-12-2002 12:42 PM

Okay, so where's Troutly??;)

It seems to me that without a history of violence this is a clear violation of his constitutional rights. If the man has a current and valid firearm owners I.D., hasn't had any documented mental problems, and no criminal record - then he should get to keep his guns.
I'd be extremely curious as to what legal grounds the judge based her decision on.

And if this guy were really smart he'd get a better lawyer - immediately. Sounds like the one he currently has is an idiot.
Just my $0.02......

euby 06-12-2002 01:11 PM

G-force...you just busted 1000...you post whore

no actually the lawyer he has is a real good one... and SHE was as frustrated as everyone else(she will be a judge in two months). she has already filed the appeals or whatever they do and told him don't do anything with the guns until the appeal is heard by a different judge. Just seems to be a case of political correctness run amuck.

I just feel sorry for him cause he is a true kickback to the old days...he believes in family first and all else second. He tried everything under the sun to please her and to keep his kids in a two parent household. He even caught her cheating and just ingnored it to keep the kids happy. If anybody deserves justice it would be him!

Audiofn 06-12-2002 01:38 PM

Personally he sould get rid of the guns anyhow. Not turn them into the cops, that is total BS, but sell them to a friend or get them swapped over to some one. Make sure all the proper paperwork is filed and they are transfered over legally. Then when all this mess is over he can get them back. However the last thing I would want around is that responsiblity and it is just one more thing that she can use against him as she already has. Then fight it tooth and naile to get them back. I am a gun owner and I would not want them around for the very reason that it is likly to be turned on me. Guns carry a bad stigma with them. If you own them you are a bad person or a wacko. We as responsible gun owners know that to be true, however situations like this make it all sticky. Good luck to your friend.

Jon