I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech >

I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Notices

I want to be a Mercury Certified Tech

Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtie
You won't get certified out of MMI or any tech school. You'll still have to get hired at a dealer and start the certification process with them. The problem is after you spend all that money for school it's still hard to get hired because you have no experience. The best thing to do is find a job at a Merc dealer doing anything, if you're good they'll send you to school. It's free and it gets you experience.
Exactly, I couldnt say it better myself...
Jr.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

might be harder than you think.. and not pay that good.. but your more than welcome to hang upside down and work on mine.. where were you a few months ago..?
MISS YOU
Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdpm
I would not waste your time and money with MMI. I have had 3 graduates from there work for me over the years and not 1 lasted more than 3 days. Not sure what they teach their students, but it sure wasn't what is needed when working on Marine Engines or Outdrives !
AGREED!!!! Save your $30,000 and get a job at a good repair shop or good marina. I have had 2 techs come to me from MMI and neither one knew there ass from a hole in the ground! Finally I had to tell the second tech to forget EVERYTHING they taught him!!! Now I teach him the right way to diagnose and fix boats. Its amazing the stuff he didnt know!!

Another thing is, when and if you become a tech, a good tech, be prepared to not get rich, work over 40 hours a week, make your girlfriend or wife mad (alot) in the summer time, dont hang on the water if trying to relax (always someone going, hey! Can u help me out or take a look at this a minute??) while your off and trying to enjoy your family, spend hundreds and thousands of $ on tools for every job imaginable, if you own a boat (dont tear it apart, it wont get put back together right away because your to busy working on everybody elses).

This only touches the life of a good tech!! HAHAHA!! BUT, if you absolutely LOVE what you do, its all wourth it! Ive been a Certified Mercruiser Tech for over 22 years and A Master for most of those. I love my job and I love helping my customers and wouldnt trade it for an office job! I make a modest living and dont want to be rich, Im on the water most of the week and Ive built, ridden and have been part of some pretty cool boats!! So I guess now you just need to decide what you really want to do.

Take pride in your work! Do it like you would want to have it done to your boat! Treat customers with respect! Boats are a way for customers to "get away" from there wifes, kids, girl friends, work, lifes frustrations, whatever!! Its a recreational out!! When it dont run, they get pissy! As would you!

Good luck!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you are already a solid BMW tech and understand the fundamentals of engines, electrical, etc. then you may be a HUGE asset to a marine shop right now. Yes, working on boats is different but frankly they are MUCH simpler than even a 10 year old BMW. The controls and computer stuff are pretty simplistic compared to cars and more of what you will need to learn is specific R&R info and boat specific parts like outdrives, but many of the basics will transfer over. For that reason I think going to work would be a much better fit than a tech school like MMI and many boat places might be willing to give you a shot.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

Default fixx

uti would be the easiest to get into..

btw do you mis this one yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqBAGeercQ
Old 10-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get into a merc certified shop as a general mechanic & when they need warranty work done & everyone else is buried (ALL SUMMER LONG) talk to management about schooling cause most manufacturers wont pay the dealer for the repair unless the tech that did the work was certified in that area. Actually thats how it started for me at Ford. then once your in the system the factory advertises what classes they will be teaching & where. Its worth a shot I made some good money rebuilding all those taurus,sable, windstar trannies Icould drive it in ,code it ,pull it, & with all parts in stock rebuild almost 2 a day & warranty pd 18 hrs each and still go home at 5
Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

PWRBT33 you are very correct if someone even thinks you know about boats around the water your day of relaxation just went out the door
Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I made some good money rebuilding all those taurus,sable, windstar trannies Icould drive it in ,code it ,pull it, & with all parts in stock rebuild almost 2 a day & warranty pd 18 hrs each and still go home at 5
so you were able to book 36 hours a day doing trans overhauls????

WOW!!!Im a GM master tech for 26 years ,,All I do is driveability and Trans repairs/overhauls..I have never booked hours like that..the most your going to get on a trans overhaul is 8 to 10 hours and it will take you as long to do..

I should go get a job at a Ford Dealer..
Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

boatnt, the ford warranty mauals have specific times for labor operations that can often be done at the same time. As far as the transmissions go they were junk to begin with very easy to rebuild & the same thing went wrong with 90% of them. dont get me wrong I had plenty of head scratchers but look but it this way you compile a whole bunch of labor ops for .3 to1.2 hrs plus 7.5 hrs just to r&r a front drive unit you can make as much money with your write up as with your repair & that came straight from the warranty clerk that sent the stuff in to ford. Plus if thats allyou are doing all day you can pick the proper tools in the morning & not even have tolook at your toolbox til the end of the day
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also boatnt company trucks (deisels) can make realgood money cause nobody services them til something breaks. I could make 2.3 hrs ona truck cause they bring it in for a shifting problem. I drive it throw the air filter away do my electronic diagnosis replace filter & out the door thats why they have sensors on the air box but joe laborer isnt going toeven check the oil let alone anything else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.