Like Tree0Likes

Hull cleaner? What's the best product

Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow

I've always used the Works and it does a good job. My boat faces West on my lift backed into my slip. After every outing the late afternoon sun reflects off the water and just bakes the lake water on my hull that I cannot reach to dry. I get a pretty good hard water film built up after a couple of months. My buddy just ordered a case of Power One so i am going to give that a try this weekend.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay

On-Off for a billion years, not sure what hull damage people are talking about, my boats always looked factory new.

True about the aluminum trailer, I just wetted my trailer prior to On-Off use in case there was a splash and kept the hose handy, no problem at all.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

My Boats: Spectre Sportfish Tournament Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
On-Off for a billion years, not sure what hull damage people are talking about, my boats always looked factory new.

True about the aluminum trailer, I just wetted my trailer prior to On-Off use in case there was a splash and kept the hose handy, no problem at all.
The muratic acid component pits the gel coat... What you find is that the boat gets dirty quicker year over year of use. I know cause it happened to me on my Scarab and I learned my lesson. On/Off does work but it's just too harsh plus as you mention, avoid metal. Ringo-Go is good to use on metal but don't leave it on long to remove stains.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (7)

My Boats: What ever they let me us

Leverage makes a hull cleaner too, they just won Powerboat Magazine reader choice award for the spider wax products.
Attached Thumbnails
Hull cleaner?  What's the best product-img_1214.jpg  
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Formula 382 "Liquidated Damages"

I used Starbrite instant hull cleaner. I poured it into a empty winded bottle, wet the boat surface, sprayed on, and the scum line dripped off in less than a minute. I rinsed well, and in a few places, did a second application. I have her on the lift now, and need to get the places underneath that were covered by the trailer bunks.
Product worked alot better than I imagined. The day before I prepared a bucket of water with the following:
bleach/jomax mixture= did nothing
Straight bleach = not much better than nothing
Purple Stuff Degreaser = nothing
Scrubbing Bubbles = took a little off, but had to use a lot of arm.

I gave up after the Scrub Bub. I had a scum line from 7-10 days in the water waiting on lift installer.

Now I need to buy a full cover.
Sunbrella or No Sunbrella?