Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who is Still making a non stepped hull? >

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Notices

Who is Still making a non stepped hull?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information , I am not sure he wants a new boat built, however I have started pushing the idea of Richies Red Sutphen, He builds a quality rig. we are still in the beginning stages of the search, so the options are open.
If anybody has a nice pre-owned straight bottom rig, 30-35 with twins, that they want me to run by him, please dont hesitate, nothing would make me happier than to help a fellow osoer, and my client at the same time.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Wink

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
Just because they win a race doesnt mean they are the "the best running rough water straight bottom"
Really? How many 38-41' straight bottom boats have you been in in really rough water?

NK
arhh, Boxer has been around for a long time in offshore boating and racing. that sutphen 31 single he has will keep up with much larger boats. they have a very nice bottom. wish I bought the sister boat 2 yrs ago. they don't porpoise at any speed. nuff said. ps his 36 use to run in p4 and was a 98 mph boat. same as the 31 well next season both will be over a 100. I just hope I don't have to blue print my bottom to get it to run as good as a sutphen.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spk1
Great information , I am not sure he wants a new boat built, however I have started pushing the idea of Richies Red Sutphen, He builds a quality rig. we are still in the beginning stages of the search, so the options are open.
If anybody has a nice pre-owned straight bottom rig, 30-35 with twins, that they want me to run by him, please dont hesitate, nothing would make me happier than to help a fellow osoer, and my client at the same time.
that boat was on my list but, was set up for twins. and I had a konrad ace drive and gellner blower motor, but it would be the balls with tyler crooket 427 small blocks 600hp. I sure he could hook you up. with those you could be in the 90s or 100.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Fountains have won more races than any other v bottom boat builders ever Does that make them the best rough water stepped hull boats ever?
How does a kilo record translate into real everyday rough water ride?

NK
I guess you never ran in a sutphen.fountain did great because he had 5 boats for every 6 or 7 on in the race. then there was that 525hp motor hps different . you have to ride in a 26/30/31/33 sutphen in 5 footer to get it. I have and right now wish I bought one.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

Of course everybody on OSO automatically thinks all the guy cares about is top speed and rough water capability......to the OP.....where is he going to run the boat???....what does he want in a cabin, if any???.....how fast does he want to go???
Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because they win a race doesnt mean they are the "the best running rough water straight bottom"
Really? How many 38-41' straight bottom boats have you been in in really rough water?

NK
I have been in Walters 38 during a poker run and came upon 3 to 5 ft confussed water. We were running at 105 with a 42 Cig with 1200's, 40 ft OL with 1200's and a 35' cat . We pulled away from them like they were standing still. He all but lapped the competition at Orange Beach this year. Last year at Atlantic City, Pete Nopper and I went out to test in 8 to 10 ft seas on Saturday. We easily ran our speed limit of 70 mph in that slop. The race was cancelled the next day because the seas were in the 15 ft range. A comment made by a fellow racer was" the only boats that were allowed to race that day were Sutphens. The race was cancelled by the Coast guard
Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
For the record, I can only confirm one buidler that does this. There may be more, but I've never heard of such.

The advantage of this setup for us is we can tune each boat's step as needed based on options, power, and purchase purpose.
This is a common practice Brian
Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure if you call McManus he will build you a boat
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
I thought he was very clear. What didn't you understand??
ask Brownie about putting inserts in an existing hull to make a step bottom..The bottom needs to be designed for steps not just put them in..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=AIR TIME;3530883]I guess you never ran in a sutphen. /QUOTE]

Well see there you go.

Not once in any of my quotes have I said anything about a sutphen being bad. I merely questioned several comments in this thread about any definitive statement saying that a sutphen is easily the best rough water boat ever. Period.

Although I can not say for sure I am willing to bet that even though Boxer has gone over 70 in 10 foot waves in a smaller sutphen and run seas that sent all those crappy 42 tigers and outerlimits back in to port and that a sutphen is the only boat that can go race in 15' seas he has not owned a Cigarette, Outerlimits or an Apache

Riding next to another boat does not constitute irrefutable knowledge that your boat is better or worse than another persons boat. If another captain decides the seas are uncomfortable or unsafe to ride in for him and or his passengers and heads in it does not automatically mean his boat is incapable of running in those waves.

Riding in another persons boat is also not any qualification to state its the definitive rough water boat of all time. Particularily if you have not ridden in all the other options in similar water conditions. Driving another persons boat does not qualify either, in my book, as you never should drive another persons boat the same as you would drive your own, out of courtesy.

Boxer I thought sutphen made a 39' boat not a 38? Also do tell what power the "38" sutphen had that runs 105 and has plenty of power left to "pull away" from those other boats in 3-5 foot confused seas?

Simply commenting on all this factual information. Nothing else

NK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.