Notices

Poker Run Question

Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker Run Question

I've never participated in a poker run and am considering running the Tickfaw 200 next go around. My only concern is the cruise speed... I top out at 70 on a good day and am just worried I will end up getting blown out by everyone and end up running solo. So for those of you who make a few poker runs a year, what speeds do you guys run at? Thanks in advance... and I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I have never seen or been in any poker runs so I don't know what to expect.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered

Generally, poker runs are NOT races and they are for fun and charity (except some are NOT for charity). Go, meet new folks and have a good safe time. That is what you should be going for.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Support Our Troops has a 70 speed limit. We have a good turn out of boats (over 100) and eveyone runs in groups. Like Nort said it's more about hanging out with boaters, raising some money and checking out hardware.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I find at the one or two I do a year there are usually a fair number of us that cruise in the 50-55 range the entire time - lots of us don't want to break anything.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually run 65-68 and I am never in the back.I also do runs were there are some very fast boats. You will be fine.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BajaDream07
I've never participated in a poker run and am considering running the Tickfaw 200 next go around. My only concern is the cruise speed... I top out at 70 on a good day and am just worried I will end up getting blown out by everyone and end up running solo. So for those of you who make a few poker runs a year, what speeds do you guys run at? Thanks in advance... and I apologize for my ignorance in advance. I have never seen or been in any poker runs so I don't know what to expect.
With a top speed of 70 you are in the greater majority of boats on the Tickfaw 200. Just start the run with the pack and you'll easily find a few boats to cruise with. That is a nice run and you don't have to make all the stops to play your hand, so the run can be as long or short as you like as long as you get at least five cards.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my first poker run 3 years ago with a 36 Concept that ran
74mph and it was the Emerald Coast Run, and I was hooked,
but sometimes wish I never did it, because 2 boats later looking to go bigger and faster. They are alot of fun, just go with some friends and have fun, and meet people who love to do the same thing as you, boating.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

What are the dates for tickfaw in 2012?