Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cool Article:Big Bang Theory >

Cool Article:Big Bang Theory

Notices

Cool Article:Big Bang Theory

Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mast has a good start....30 mins of WOT...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtkD8CXnW8[/youtube]
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Mast has a good start....30 mins of WOT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YtkD8CXnW8
Sounds cool to say it but realistically that should be no biggie for any performance marine engine. Heck Merc 525's in SV and SVL have gone entire seasons hour after hour at WOT with only basic maintenance/oil changes. Most of our races are half hour to forty five minutes min. They ought'a be able to turn the lights off an go home for the night, shut 'er down in the morning

That motor is pretty sweet though if i had the means to go new that would probably be on the short list for sure. There was actually a surprising amount of LS based engines at IBEX. Heard that the emissions reg in the coming years was going to be all engines under 500hp. . . . . . fingers crossed on lots more of these.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-29-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Sounds cool to say it but realistically that should be no biggie for any performance marine engine. Heck Merc 525's in SV and SVL have gone entire seasons hour after hour at WOT with only basic maintenance/oil changes.
Dave, I agree completely. I used to work for Merc in Fond du Lac in Plant 12...I worked in the ITC (indoor test center) area as an engine development engineer and ran tests with engines running literally hundreds of hours of WOT for hours at a time and then idle for hours at a time, then back and forth many times. Clearly a marine engine needs to be robust enough to handle the duty cycle imposed by boaters.

I think that Mast is just in the first stage of proving the performance and durability of the LS platform for marine use...because really, as of right now, there isn't much hard data and facts out there regarding LS engines in marine applications.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glassdave did you ask the price?

Last edited by Catmando; 11-29-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i race a 30 DW i thought that would be a sick boat with a pair of hot small blocks and Arnesons as well but how bout a twist Steve. How bout a bustle and rudder with fixed Arnesons?
Has Doug ever built a 30 with a rudder? I think it's a great idea.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Dave, I agree completely. I used to work for Merc in Fond du Lac in Plant 12...I worked in the ITC (indoor test center) area as an engine development engineer and ran tests with engines running literally hundreds of hours of WOT for hours at a time and then idle for hours at a time, then back and forth many times. Clearly a marine engine needs to be robust enough to handle the duty cycle imposed by boaters.

I think that Mast is just in the first stage of proving the performance and durability of the LS platform for marine use...because really, as of right now, there isn't much hard data and facts out there regarding LS engines in marine applications.
well all your hard work payed off cuz i think some of us can be pretty rough on these things. I think the 525EFI is an one incredible piece of work. Unfortunatly it wasnt till i got back when i started about thinking about LS motors for the Mag or i would'a payed mor attention . . . . guess I'll hafta keep my eyes open in Miami (if i make it down)

Originally Posted by Catmando
Glassdave did you ask the price?
didnt get a chance. These were actually quite a few with LS's in there display.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not looking for that though, i am simply looking to build under 500HP for a nice reliable runner. Personally i dont need 1200+ HP in a 27. Also not looking to buy engines i have a builder in mind already that is well up to the task. Right now i am just looking at options on the various LS blocks/heads/induction available and wondering what is the best starting point.
CMI makes a nice unit but a little pricey. There are lots of cast manifolds available too. We've been using LS engines for years in aluminum jet boats up here. If you want to make your own the cheapest route is GM performance parts. They've really done a good job of keeping parts prices down to help promote the platform. The LS3 is a great starting point if you want an all aluminum engine and will make 500hp with just a cam swap. Personally I like the LSX 376 forced induction package. It's got a tougher rotating assembly and 9:1 compression. With a cam swap it'll make just a bit under 500hp but live on cheap gas. The LSX 454 was tested for 50hrs straight WOT between peak torque and peak hp without issues. If you're going to run a blower on any of the production engines with cast pistons be careful with the tune up...

Here's some out of the crate LS7's with only a cam swap. As usual I think Weismann was ahead of the curve running LS's years ago. I'd like to hear an update on his experience with them. Sounds awesome! [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZP9G3K-CE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Attached Thumbnails Cool Article:Big Bang Theory-vortech6.0.jpg   Cool Article:Big Bang Theory-vortech6.0boom.jpg  

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 11-29-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Awesome vid Haxby!! Thanks for posting.

well all your hard work payed off cuz i think some of us can be pretty rough on these things. I think the 525EFI is an one incredible piece of work. .
I agree that the 525 is amazing...hoping my next rig will have one.
My development work was primarily reliability related on the Verado and a couple other outboards...the REALLY cool stuff (525, 1075, etc) were all across town up on the hill at the Merc Racing plant.

Last edited by Wasted Income; 11-30-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
CMI makes a nice unit but a little pricey. There are lots of cast manifolds available too. We've been using LS engines for years in aluminum jet boats up here. If you want to make your own the cheapest route is GM performance parts. They've really done a good job of keeping parts prices down to help promote the platform. The LS3 is a great starting point if you want an all aluminum engine and will make 500hp with just a cam swap. Personally I like the LSX 376 forced induction package. It's got a tougher rotating assembly and 9:1 compression. With a cam swap it'll make just a bit under 500hp but live on cheap gas.
Pretty sure the LSX376 has the same internals of the LS3, just with the stronger block.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
Pretty sure the LSX376 has the same internals of the LS3, just with the stronger block.
No

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.