Like Tree0Likes

Insurance totaled my boat

Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fever

mine is with my boat insurance too. Its true as long as you are hooked to your truck your boat and trailer bother are covered under auto. But as soon as you take it off its not. I asked my home owners about the umbrella, and they said they could do it but it wasnt worth the price. And unless you specifically add that to your home owners I wouldnt be so sure its covered.

Either way I wouldnt be handing over the trailer unless value was given for it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Fountain 42 EX Done Deal aka "Big Sexy"

only the liability extends from your towing vehicle to what ever is hooked on, the physical damage to the boat would not be covered under the truck insurance in the event of an accident, (thats how in works in Canada anyway) you would have to have a separate policy on the boat
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: 39' Sea Ray, 38' Nortech, 18' Taylor SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier4402 View Post
mine is with my boat insurance too. Its true as long as you are hooked to your truck your boat and trailer bother are covered under auto. But as soon as you take it off its not. I asked my home owners about the umbrella, and they said they could do it but it wasnt worth the price. And unless you specifically add that to your home owners I wouldnt be so sure its covered.

Either way I wouldnt be handing over the trailer unless value was given for it.
The damage caused by the boat and trailer when hooked to your truck is covered. Not the value of the boat and trailer.

Dont let them confuse you. I been adjusting claims for almost a decade now and it never fails how policy issuers let their customers get these 2 things confused.

I have never seen a policy that covers the boat for value just because it is hooked to the truck. It is a liability issue only and that is only to the limit of coverage for the truck. Boat liability does not cover anything while it is on the trailer unless it is something the boat can cause while standing still like a fire etc..

And your homeowners poilcy only covers the boat while it is sittting in the driveway, or in the garage, and usually this has a limit amount and some exceptions applied to it and it is almost always Peril specific, unless you are one of the lucky few that can qualify a boat endorsement under your home policy, and this is very rare these days.

On agreed value policies that I have seen, and this is for larger boats and trailers. $10000 plus in trailer value, there are times that I have seen the boat total and insuerds keep the trailer because the trailer was not involved, but boat policies are not as uniform as auto and homeoners are throughout the country.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1000man View Post
The damage caused by the boat and trailer when hooked to your truck is covered. Not the value of the boat and trailer.

Dont let them confuse you. I been adjusting claims for almost a decade now and it never fails how policy issuers let their customers get these 2 things confused.

I have never seen a policy that covers the boat for value just because it is hooked to the truck. It is a liability issue only and that is only to the limit of coverage for the truck. Boat liability does not cover anything while it is on the trailer unless it is something the boat can cause while standing still like a fire etc..

And your homeowners poilcy only covers the boat while it is sittting in the driveway, or in the garage, and usually this has a limit amount and some exceptions applied to it and it is almost always Peril specific, unless you are one of the lucky few that can qualify a boat endorsement under your home policy, and this is very rare these days.

On agreed value policies that I have seen, and this is for larger boats and trailers. $10000 plus in trailer value, there are times that I have seen the boat total and insuerds keep the trailer because the trailer was not involved, but boat policies are not as uniform as auto and homeoners are throughout the country.
Im pretty sure in NY your boat is covered for all things while its on the truck. Thats what my insurance told me as long as I have collision. Home owners will not automatically cover boats here, and from what I have been told technically home owners will cover parts and peices of your boat, but you would be stupid to rely on that only. Either way good idea to have boat insurance, and if I was this guy I wouldnt be handing over the boat trailer unless insurance could provide that it was part of the agreed value.