"Boating" Magazine's NOS Article >

"Boating" Magazine's NOS Article

Notices

"Boating" Magazine's NOS Article

Old 06-13-2002, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Boating" Magazine's NOS Article

Just got the new copy of "Boating" magazine in the mail yesterday. This is an all-around magazine covering virtually every type of boat from offshore boats to Sport Fishermans (no blowboats though ).

One of the front cover articles was "Fast drivers wanted" (or something to that effect). This lead to an article inside the magazine about NOS systems in pleasure boats. NOS engineers went on to say that a properly set up NOS system is safe for boats if not used for more than 15secs. They installed it on a 22' Captiva with a small block...original speed 52mph....now 62mph.

They said the cost of the kit was around $600-$700, and the bottle was about $35 to refill. They were comparing it to a supercharger, saying it kind of works the same way, but for thousands of $$$ less.

They did say they had to use a larger prop to handle the extra boost when you hit the button....which would cause "normal" non button speeds to suffer.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?? Does it actually create "boost" on a boost gauge?? I am running a B&M at 6lbs of boost, and i think if i added the NOS it would = KABOOM!!!

I'll see if i can find the article on the website and post a link
Old 06-13-2002, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

If you added NOS it would not create more boost. What NOS does it add oxygen in greater volume to the air fuel mix to burn hotter and faster thus making more power. I would not recommend putting it on a boat application. It greatly increases cyl temp and pressure quickly--not something you want in a boat.
Also a bottle does not last that long either and gets expensive to fill all the time. It does work great on a street car though. I had a 150 hp kit on my Chevelle and it took almost two seconds off the 1/4 mile time.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOS works and is very reliable HP but,

if you screw up it is a guaranteed holed piston or worse. We run a 125 HP nitrous kit on my dads Baja 196 Sunsport and have had zero problems and have run at least 10 bottles through it. At that HP level you get about 60 sec of time per bottle. We only use it on top end so it really goes a long way. Things needed to make it work are added fuel capacity to mix with the nitrous, a way to reduce ignition timing when on the gas, and a low fuel pressure switch to stop activation in case of a fuel problem and a step colder on the plugs is recommended. If you do it right it is a blast. The little Baja want from 81 MPH natural to 86 MPH on 125 HP at 6300 RPM. Now that bowrider Baja is a real sleeper.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

Holy Chit a 19ft bowrider at 86mph?????.... Are there Diapers next to the Life jackets??
Old 06-13-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

We have discussed this a few times on OSO, and the same answers come up. My opinion is that you are limited to a relatively small shot because you can't change props just to use the nitrous. 100 HP, which is about what you get with many 125 HP kits is about the limit. That way you can prop with a little more pitch to take advantage of the extra power, but not so much pitch that normal operation is a pain. I figured this out for my boat at one time and aimed for 5000 RPM WOT normal, 5500 RPM on N2O, an extra 7-8 mph. Adding 100 HP on top of 500 HP is nothing to worry about with good fuel pressure and ignition retard. Yanking the bottles out of the boat every minute of operation is what made me think.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

What do you mean by: "Yanking the bottles out of the boat every minute of operation is what made me think" ??

The bottle only lasts for 60 secs of use (or 4 shots @ 15secs)????
Old 06-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

That is correct, 60 sec is what you get. 4 15 sec passes is about right. It is much better to have a built motor, but if you are running in radar compitetions or just want to have it there just in case it is pretty cheap HP. I do not have one on my boat, but it does 97.8 MPH naturally aspirated. It would be an easy way for me to blink 100 on the gun or GPS. I have some tuning to do yet so we will continue to try to hit it naturally.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Mark , I've put it on everything you can think of ,including boats ,street rods, motorcycles , jet ski's, snowmobiles , diesles , limo's and a couple old farm tractors ! It's the best bang for the buck in most cases but it sucks on boats unless it's set up for drag racing . Like was said earlier , you need more prop to compensate for added power . Now you have to much prop to not use the NOS ! OR , You use your same prop and run the motor up to 6,500 rpm's and the bottle (NOS). The only way it works OK is if you intend to use the same prop and run the extra rpms' . Not realy a good idea . MY old 24' Baja used to turn 7,000 on the "Juice" and 5,000 without . That was a 150 hp shot . And yes you better get your own filling station like I did! IT only last a coulpe shots . Also the bottle only works right at one temperture .About 75 degrees . NOw you have to give your bottle shade when it's hot (if it's close to 100 out it won't work ) then if it gets cool you need a heated blanket for it . I have about 15 bottles and about 6 or 8 different kits if you want to play with it . I would recomend not to in the boat . IT"S TOO MUCH WORK ! In one afternoon you could easily use 2 bottles if you are conservative on it . AT about $40 per bottle ! UNless you fill your own . Typical NOS kit runs $400-$500 then add a heater about $100-150 then a blanket for shade , an electric valve about $150, the an ignition retard ,and a knock sensor ,and gagues, extra fuel pump and hose , you might as well get a dual bottle mount and a half dozen extra bottles , PLus permits , and your own refilling station . About $1000 for the pump !

YOu could buy a nice 10-71 blower and another carb and replace yours and have much better ,and more dependable power all the time ! BUt hey , IF you want to play ,I have the stuff !

LAter , JOE
Old 06-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Its great for street cars sucks in boats ........my.02
Old 06-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Registered

I have NOS in my Carrera....I agree with the notion that its very cheap HP but isn't for everyday use. One thing about NOS in my app that is pretty cool is the fact that once I get off the squeeze my boat will "maintain" a faster top end than it can muster natural. Spoken differently, if you pick up 10mph on NOS you might only loose 5mph when you come off...until of course you get out of the throttle.

Quick Reply: "Boating" Magazine's NOS Article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.