Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boattrader.com ethics? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/264941-boattrader-com-ethics.html)

Keith Atlanta 10-30-2011 09:13 AM

That will drive boat prices down even more.

compedgemarine 10-30-2011 10:31 AM

yes it is possible that the buyer has already seen or will look at other ads. the point is that they do that on their own. it is not the job of the people you are paying to advertise with to drive business to your competitor. if I pay to have a mass mailing or email sent out to all my leads and they then use that list to send out leads for my competitors I would be pissed. they have done just that. An ad was paid to be put on boattrader and a lead contacted the advertiser and boattrader has taken it upon themselves to use that lead to then send competitors to that lead. besides being unethical it is just sleazy business.

cpiefer06 10-30-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 3539670)
yes it is possible that the buyer has already seen or will look at other ads. the point is that they do that on their own. it is not the job of the people you are paying to advertise with to drive business to your competitor. if I pay to have a mass mailing or email sent out to all my leads and they then use that list to send out leads for my competitors I would be pissed. they have done just that. An ad was paid to be put on boattrader and a lead contacted the advertiser and boattrader has taken it upon themselves to use that lead to then send competitors to that lead. besides being unethical it is just sleazy business.

Exactly what I was getting at. Agree 100%

Magicfloat 10-30-2011 11:39 AM

The subject of the email from BT was " More boats just for you in Jasper,Alabama". Body read "We saw you were interested in a boat on our site,here are some more that you may be interested in",then links to boats my local competitors have.I am paying this site to advertise my boats,not my competitors.

97FASTech 10-30-2011 12:15 PM

I looked at a boat in Austin,TX, on BT. Couple days later same thing with "other boats similiar in Austin". Couple days later they sent another, happens twice. I believe this was in May or June.

RaggedEdge 10-30-2011 06:20 PM

Perhaps BT feels it needs to better serve their viewers, this practice would serve that. However in reality the viewers do not directly pay the bills, the advertisers cover that. IMO this practice will lead to a decline in paid listings, which in turn will lead to a decline in viewers. Just not sound biz in my book. Be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Griff 10-31-2011 12:20 AM

I think what boattrader is doing is completely wrong.

pullmytrigger 10-31-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3540005)

X2 big time........!

its a no brainer

glassdave 10-31-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3540005)

X3 . . . . and more over I'm just so sick of being "marketed to". Every page every sidebar every click of a video window has some crap that has been systematically marketed to me based on anything i have previously clicked on :rolleyes:

I agree though it is completely unethical for BT to drive customers anywhere.

mike tkach 10-31-2011 09:04 AM

when no one uses bt anymore,they might get the picture.i for one will not list with them until they change that practice.:bsflag::bsflag::bsflag: