PWC heart breaker (radar gun) >

PWC heart breaker (radar gun)

Notices

PWC heart breaker (radar gun)

Old 06-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PWC heart breaker (radar gun)

I was out with MIKE S last night doing some prop testing on his 22 Velocity and these 2 PWC's kept buzzingg around us like flies while we were taking a break from running. I aimed the Stalker at one of them and they immediately backed off the throttle. I called them over and these fools thought they were getting a ticket for speeding. I assured them I wasn't a cop and asked them how fast? They claimed they were the biggest and baddest PWC made and they do 70 MPH plus. They made a few fly by passes at WOT and the best speed I saw was 56 MPH on one and the other was 52. They were a little deflated, and as I say sometimes the truth hurts. Needless to say we did get 70.7 MPH out of the Velocity with a stock 454/330. Most PWC owners do not realize how fast 70 MPH really is. These guys do now and I enjoyed showing them.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wette Vette,
What was the results of the prop testing on the Velocity? What props did you try and how did they compare, in both handling and speed?
Old 06-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Registered

3 blade 26 Spinelli at 5000 rpm 69.9 MPH with poor handling.
4 blade 24 Hydro Quad 4 at 5000 rpm and 68 MPH with very poor handling. And finally a 26 Bravo labbed by Velocity for the 22 was 4800 rpm and 70.7 MPH with improved handling. The 26 Bravo is the winner.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can relate to those PWC's I have a stock yamaha gp1200 & on a good day I can radar it at 60.8. It is amazing how many think they are faster that that. Aaaa back to the 10 MPH rule.

On the 26 bravo, was that prop better all around? Low speed & acceleration?
Old 06-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wette Vette, What year was the Velocity? A friend of mine had one of the first ones with the big block. Wonder if it is the same boat. It had the trs and was an 84 or 85 model. the best we ever got it to run was 67 with the cleaver back then. Hey I have tried the carb and I need to do a few more adjustments to get it dialed in. Later The Ironman.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

MIKE S's 22 is a 1995. The best hole shot was the 26 Bravo. The best mid range seemed to be the loose 26 Spinelli, but it aired out a bit coming onto plane and was a handful to drive at WOT. Overall the 26 Bravo was the best. It was made for the 22 and was purchased from Velocity so it was no surprise. Those pad hulls are a handful to drive if they aren't trimmed right. Get it right and they are pretty fast. Have you tried the carb yet Ironman? 55 to 60 MPH sure isn't 70, but on a PWC is still a little loco.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to jet the primaries down 5 and the pv to 6.5. it works well, about 75rpm's over the existing stock 800cfm holley and there is more room for improvement. I am going to change the primary throttle plates, the holes are too big for my application and I could not get a decent idle 1200 is too fast. Thanks, Ironman.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Registered

Glad to hear it is going to work out for you. I am kind of surprised about dropping 5 jet numbers on the primaries. I expected the PV would need to be adjusted to the motor vacuum. Did Nickerson recommend dropping the primary jets down 5? Just curious because he always told me to do the primaries and secondaries the same amount when making a jet change. I ran that carb 2 jet sizes leaner than the it was originally set up. It came from Nickerson with 86/92 and I ended up at 84/90 and it seemed to work well.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Turbojack
I can relate to those PWC's I have a stock yamaha gp1200 & on a good day I can radar it at 60.8. It is amazing how many think they are faster that that. Aaaa back to the 10 MPH rule.

On the 26 bravo, was that prop better all around? Low speed & acceleration?
I have a Polaris with the 1050 in it and bet that on a good day it's only in the mid 50's
Old 06-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Sunsation 32

I love to hear those stories about busting someones bubble on true speed. I raced Sea Doo's in South East region for years and we had a stalker radar gun. People always came around looking at your race boat when you were at the lake and they always wanted to know how fast it was. Mine radared at 63 and would accelerate to 60 in a little over 4 sec. I had so many people say well mine runs 70 to 75. I would just tell them to go make a couple of passes and I would radar them. I dissapointed alot of people with that radar gun.

Quick Reply: PWC heart breaker (radar gun)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.