Like Tree0Likes

Re: Best Single Engine Cat Design

Reply
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 PM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: west palm beach FL,
My Boats: yamaha sx190,yamaha exciter, yamaha ls2000 w c 255dc , 38sonic,38fountain ec,35outlaw,28pantera,27donzi zx ect
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
And the pod protects the drive's lower unit from high speed water damage.
good info
thank's
mike
mikebrls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: west palm beach FL,
My Boats: yamaha sx190,yamaha exciter, yamaha ls2000 w c 255dc , 38sonic,38fountain ec,35outlaw,28pantera,27donzi zx ect
Posts: 3,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman View Post
Mike,
The main reason single engine cats are designed with a certer pod is it gives the builder a place inside the hull to mount the engine/oil pan, and drive, with a much lower CG. There are other performance enhancements too. They carry weight better, particularly at midrange speeds, they acellerate better because they have more hydrodynamic lift at slow and midragne speeds, and porpoise very little. If you look at the newer (I call them gen 3 designs) Nordics, Eliminators, RPMs, and DCBS, they all have elevated center pods, that ride completely free at high speed, so you get the best of both worlds.
There are very few single engine cats with no center pod. It makes for a much higher CG, and very high drive mounting. The center pod also gives the drive some protection from rough water. As for their rough water handling, they seem about the same as "true" tunnels of their own length.
Thurston, thanks for the links! Kick ass videos.
Regards,
Steve
thank's great stuff
mike
mikebrls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 16
Default

Nice looking boat, but the performance is not that impressive. I had a Carrera 257 with a Teague 800 in it and it ran 118 pushing through a B-max. It sounds to me like the performance is along side of everything else out there.

The RPM is definitely impressive. That is what I would look at if I was in the market for a single engine cat.
Race4Glory is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM
  #14
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Jassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,371
Default

I like this one..
Attached Thumbnails
Re: Best Single Engine Cat Design-100_1634.jpg  
Jassman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 PM
  #15
Driver-441
Racer
 
TeamSaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake George
My Boats: 32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
Posts: 11,348
Default

Pegs a 125 mph gps speedo, pushing 130. If you can find a good one there isnt a better handling single engine cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1TKQ1drB0
TeamSaris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 PM
  #16
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
Rik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: California
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fun 2 View Post
Pegs a 125 mph gps speedo, pushing 130. If you can find a good one there isnt a better handling single engine cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN1TKQ1drB0
Is this the same "Profile" from Iowa that was originally a "Redline"?
__________________
Arneson Surface Drives www.arneson-industries.com
Rik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 PM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Locust Valley, New York
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman View Post
Mike,
The main reason single engine cats are designed with a certer pod is it gives the builder a place inside the hull to mount the engine/oil pan, and drive, with a much lower CG. There are other performance enhancements too. They carry weight better, particularly at midrange speeds, they acellerate better because they have more hydrodynamic lift at slow and midragne speeds, and porpoise very little. If you look at the newer (I call them gen 3 designs) Nordics, Eliminators, RPMs, and DCBS, they all have elevated center pods, that ride completely free at high speed, so you get the best of both worlds.
There are very few single engine cats with no center pod. It makes for a much higher CG, and very high drive mounting. The center pod also gives the drive some protection from rough water. As for their rough water handling, they seem about the same as "true" tunnels of their own length.
Thurston, thanks for the links! Kick ass videos.
Regards,
Steve
Thank you for the explaination. Well done. its one that I can understand and learn from. Wish there were more like this. Thanks again
Offshore Dreamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas Ga
My Boats: 35 Fountain Lightning HP525
Posts: 1,126
Default

26REDLINE is #1
johnlomant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 PM
  #19
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
Rik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: California
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlomant View Post
26REDLINE is #1
Different redline, it was made in the late 80's early 90's
__________________
Arneson Surface Drives www.arneson-industries.com
Rik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM
  #20
Driver-441
Racer
 
TeamSaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake George
My Boats: 32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
Posts: 11,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Is this the same "Profile" from Iowa that was originally a "Redline"?
I dont believe so but Im not sure
TeamSaris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.