Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 11-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
How did this thread die so quick? Especially with no answers, pics etc. Am I logged into OSO or some other site?

First I am very glad to here everyone is ok, especially after the events of key west. If I was one of the people in the Orange DCB I would be REALLY thankful I was alive right now.

But why is this rollover such a secret? No pictures, no answers, etc. Any other boat accident and OSO blows up (especially when there are no deaths). Crazy speculation starts flying, pics pop up, rumors spread, etc. I am not saying that is what I want but I would expect a little more than what is being posted!

Honestly theres probably no answer that will make me gain the respect I lost for the DCB 35, unless the news reports change. Without alcohol, collision, excessive speed, there is no reason a boat like that should crash at such a low speed on mild water. Especially such a well respected, half million dollar boat, thats rigged with the best and strongest parts etc.

I would be furious if I owned a boat like that and flipped it. Chit I would be pissed if I owned a bayliner and it flipped pulling the kids on the tubes at 17mph!

So do bugatti veryons, corvette ZR1's, and viper ACR's spin out when only driving at 55 and hitting a freeway expansion joint?

Seriously??? WTF?
I don't know what happened, I wasn't in the boat. Someone would have to ask them, but from what i've heard, the M35 is at DCB Racing, and is currently being repaired. Only the people in the boat know what happened, and thankfully they are all ok.

Last edited by PokerRun388; 11-20-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

I too have been wondering how a boat like this rolled at such a low speed.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Offshore, you have no idea what your talking about. All step vees and cats can hook spin and roll. It would take multiple pages of writing to describe the factors of hull design which lead to this. It is especially possible to hook and spin when following another boat and crossing their wake in a turn to the outside(cat). In a vee crossing a wake to the inside is to be avoided.
Your basic premise that it would not happen in a car so it shouldn't happen in a boat is riduculous. High performance boat drivers need to have the mentality of an airplane pilot. The equipment must be checked before operation. The pilot needs to know the limitations of his craft. Each boat will have different things it likes and doesn't like at different speeds. There is a reason why Bob Teague will not ride in a boat with anyone else driving.
Non stepped vees like yours are among the safest to drive with the fewest handling issues, they are also the slowest. That is why Baja stayed with the true V so that the average Joe could drive it because of their all around good handling characteristics.
Maybe one day we'll have an ultra high performance craft that you can just operate without regard to conditions, but we don't have one now. It is our responsibility as captains to operate our boats so that we do not injure ourselves or our passengers. Cats handle the worst at low speed, this type of incident is all too common. Risk can be minimized by mastering boat handling skills(ie TRES'S course), but risk still exists because of operator error and mechanical failure.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

SkiDoc, you have no idea what YOU'RE talking about.

Reread what I wrote and answer my question, or do not direct your rude comment towards me, since it has nothing to do with my main point.

Or are you still mad that I proved you wrong about the new IMCO SCX-4?

Or even better, are you part of the DCB "cover up" LOL!

You have some points that make sense, and most of us already are aware of. BUT they have very little to do with what I am saying, nor do they explain WHY it rolled!

Driver error?? A boat of that caliber should be engineered to handle driver error at 55mph. Obviously anything can happen, but there was no erratic driving reported so again, no reason to flip.

Mechanical failure?? The boat used the best of the best, no reason or excuse for a 55mph rollover even with mechanical failure.

Crossing a boat wake?? Get Real and try boating in some real water like Lake Michigan. (ask Gieco if you don't believe me, and it was actually "calm" for lake michigan) OhHH OHHH WATCH out!!! Here comes a jet ski wake, hold on tight!!!!! We are about to roll over!!

Limitations of the craft?? "Buy this boat, its great, but sign this wavier that you will only nail the throttles and drive fast, even if you are about to run over some water skiers, swimmers, and tubers, because if you slow down you might flip!!!" LOL!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Offshorexcursion sorry to say you are the one that sounds like you don't know what your talking about.

Spinning or rolling a cat or ts boat at 50 is plenty fast enough

Skidoc is correct in the danger of crossing wakes in turns.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
There is a reason why Bob Teague will not ride in a boat with anyone else driving.
I think Paul Whittier may beg to differ....
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
SkiDoc, you have no idea what YOU'RE talking about.

Reread what I wrote and answer my question, or do not direct your rude comment towards me, since it has nothing to do with my main point.

Or are you still mad that I proved you wrong about the new IMCO SCX-4?

Or even better, are you part of the DCB "cover up" LOL!

You have some points that make sense, and most of us already are aware of. BUT they have very little to do with what I am saying, nor do they explain WHY it rolled!

Driver error?? A boat of that caliber should be engineered to handle driver error at 55mph. Obviously anything can happen, but there was no erratic driving reported so again, no reason to flip.

Mechanical failure?? The boat used the best of the best, no reason or excuse for a 55mph rollover even with mechanical failure.

Crossing a boat wake?? Get Real and try boating in some real water like Lake Michigan. (ask Gieco if you don't believe me, and it was actually "calm" for lake michigan) OhHH OHHH WATCH out!!! Here comes a jet ski wake, hold on tight!!!!! We are about to roll over!!

Limitations of the craft?? "Buy this boat, its great, but sign this wavier that you will only nail the throttles and drive fast, even if you are about to run over some water skiers, swimmers, and tubers, because if you slow down you might flip!!!" LOL!
I watched a 38 cigarette barrel roll ejecting all 6 people at about 40 mph making a turn on a flat lake. it happens
Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

So in other words it caught an edge?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

the speed was much faster than 55...more like 70-75. Drives were all the way in, dog leg turn that came up quickly on driver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.