Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help... I need a bigger oil cooler.. anyone have one for sale? >

Help... I need a bigger oil cooler.. anyone have one for sale?

Notices

Help... I need a bigger oil cooler.. anyone have one for sale?

Old 06-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... I need a bigger oil cooler.. anyone have one for sale?

I figured out my oil pressure problem and got that fixed, now my oil temp is still higher then I like. It's 220-230 at cruise then about 270-280 after a hard run... I am running a merc 454 mag cooler right now with a thermostat. Cooler is about 2" x 9".. I need to find a bigger one so I can get my oil temp down...

Anybody have one?

Thanks

Travis
Old 06-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the oil flowing through the one you have reverse of the water flow? I hear that makes a big difference. What size is the filter you have now.

Jon
Old 06-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Travis, I am having the same problem with my new 502 I installed this year. The stock cooler just isn't big enough. I am in the process of rigging two coolers, one 5" X 2" for the Power Steering and a 12" X 2" for the engine oil. The 12" will mount in the same place as the stock cooler and the 5" will mount on the front of the engine, spliced into the hose between the engine oil cooler and the thermostat housing. I had to make a bracket out of 1/8" X 3/4" steel for the 5" cooler. I will also have to get a piece of 1/2" hose made to add to one of the engine oil cooler lines. Otherwise it is going very well. I bought the coolers from CPPerformance. It was cheaper to buy both of the coolers than one combination PS/EO cooler. Plus the installation is easier because everything will fit on the engine without having to mount the cooler externally and rig new oil lines as well. The stock cooler is pretty weak. The cooling part itself is only about 4" for each of the sections in the 9" cooler. The 12" X 2" will actually be about 3 times as large as the stocker. It should work, I hope.

Right now I am waiting for the correct 12" X 2" cooler. The first one they sent me had only 3/8" oil line fittings, not the 3/4" fittings that they advertise. I called them about it and they are going to send the correct one as soon as they get them in stock as well as a return tag to send the other one back. I can't finish the job until I get the right cooler but, at least I have one to get measurements from so I can get everything I need and be ready to bolt it in as soon a the new one gets here.

Good luck, Doug
Old 06-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Audiofn
Do you have the oil flowing through the one you have reverse of the water flow? I hear that makes a big difference. What size is the filter you have now.

Jon

should the oil passing through the cooler.. be going with the flow of water or against the flow of water? good idea.. cooler is the stock 454 mag with P/S on it.. the oil filter is a big FRAM HP4, because I welded up the bypass I needed a high burst filter... I might just end up getting a huge oil cooler form CP and runnning that with my oil stat.. then I have a sepreate P/S cooler to run with it....

no body has one for sale
Old 06-17-2002, 11:20 AM
voodoo

I just upgraded this week to a stock Gen 6 502 cooler from the 454 Mag cooler I was using. My 454 cooler was an oil cooler only, I had a separate PS cooler. I would have never believed that going from a 6.5 inch cooler to a 10 inch cooler would drop my temps by 45-50 degrees but it did. I was running 230-240 AFTER the cooler before. Now I run 180-190 after the cooler. On a hard long run it only hits 200. If my cooler is droppping the temp 50 degrees like it should be, I am running 250 tops before the cooler which is perfect.

Old 06-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Travis ya the oil is sapposed to flow in the oposit direction of the water in your cooling system.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Audiofn
Travis ya the oil is sapposed to flow in the oposit direction of the water in your cooling system.
ok jon thanks... Thats the way I have it plumbed..