Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone Dredge Their Dock Area >

Anyone Dredge Their Dock Area

Notices

Anyone Dredge Their Dock Area

Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the area to be dredged is close to shore, and accessible for heavy equipment and trucks you can have it done from land with an excavator and loaded on to trucks. We used to do a lot of it, with proper permits of course. If you cant get at it from shore it is a barge job, either sucking it out or working from the barge with an excavator.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a photo of the dock, looks like water but very shallow. Thanks for the replies, I did hire an excavator several years ago when we had a drought and the lake was low. The guy ran the track over a rock ledge got it stuck water in the cab. He couldn't swim and thought he was going to drown. He didn't but the nearly new Volvo excavator was not in as good of a shape. The lake is formed from a dammed up creek and it never dries out. The local water people are great and they have said that they want the sediment out as well. There used to be grants to restore these flood control structures, but not now. I own 133 acres around the lake so any kind of equipment is fine. I took the last amount of silt into a pasture out of the flood plane, let it dry, spread it out and seeded it into grass.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Dredge Their Dock Area-mclboatonlift.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only prob with the excavator and truck is your lawn is going to get F`d up as im sure u know from last time.

That last equip opperator sounds like a tard!!!

Ive had cat 330 excavator waist deep in muck when digging irrigation reservoirs for cranberry bogs, when the tracks wont move the machine you pull yourself around by the bucket. Almost impossible to get stuck.

Good luck, nice spread.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Key word........"almost"
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab63
The only prob with the excavator and truck is your lawn is going to get F`d up as im sure u know from last time.

That last equip opperator sounds like a tard!!!

Ive had cat 330 excavator waist deep in muck when digging irrigation reservoirs for cranberry bogs, when the tracks wont move the machine you pull yourself around by the bucket. Almost impossible to get stuck.

Good luck, nice spread.
On the high end homes I work at they just drop down 3/4" plywood to protect the laws when a truck or anything with a track needs to go over the lawn.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Key word........"almost"
Lol

Should have said you need to be pretty ignorant, or inexperienced to get one stuck.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

I have a similar setup, I used my seadoo jetboat tied it to the dock and just blew the dirt out and made a nice hole. Only took like 20min, prob got about 3-4 feet deeper.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Yeah, we live on a USFWS Manatee refuge, so I just do these things, AFTER I have talked with my neighbors and everybody is cool with it.... I just push the dredged bottom up against our seawalls/under our dock's deck, can't push your dirt under the neighbor's dock, that would invite trouble....
Of course.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jswfl09
Of course.
And YOUR point it what?..... Just a smart a$$ comment, no constructive advice.... How do you S. FL. guys keep your lift cleaned out?
Sheesh..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.