Notices

Rear Seat re-build

Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat re-build

Pulled the rear seat out of the old girl for a winter project, seems a little overkill to use 3/4 inch marine plywood, what do you guys suggest? and who sells it?

This stuff looks cool -- anyone know how much it weighs relative to wood?
http://www.boatoutfitters.com/store/...tic-Sheet.html
Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Heavy- per their shipping cost estimator a full sheet of 3/4 is 210lbs. Hope that's wrong.....
Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Exactly why I'm asking, on the manufacturer website they also have a lightweight version as well...but I'll have to look up strengths of the material, weight vs. wood etc, hell if I can save a little weight over wood why not if it's not tons more money...

I haven't even started pulling the carpet, speakers or vinyl, so now is the time for ideas
Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's another option,

http://www.coosacomposites.com/
Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

I think what you want is PVC foam board. It is what many of the boat builders use today. Lighter than wood, can be heated and bent, glues easily and takes staples.

It is about $150 a sheet for 3/4 down here. I'm not sure who will have it up there. You also can buy it at a lumber yard as Azek trim board.

Here is a great description

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/pvc.htm
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For the cost of some of these materials, i dont know why you just wouldnt use wood again. i am having my rear bench done because of wood rot. Not sure why Cigarette designed it the way they did, but i'm just using wood again. It lasted 20 yrs, so another 20 yrs will probably outlast the life of the boat.
by then recreational boating & gas engines could be a thing of the past.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Used 1/2" marine ply on mine. With the proper supports, it's plenty strong and a lot lighter. Stainless decking screws and gorilla glue hold it all together. $70/sheet
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BDiggity
For the cost of some of these materials, i dont know why you just wouldnt use wood again. i am having my rear bench done because of wood rot. Not sure why Cigarette designed it the way they did, but i'm just using wood again. It lasted 20 yrs, so another 20 yrs will probably outlast the life of the boat.
by then recreational boating & gas engines could be a thing of the past.
Originally Posted by bustedbrick
Used 1/2" marine ply on mine. With the proper supports, it's plenty strong and a lot lighter. Stainless decking screws and gorilla glue hold it all together. $70/sheet

This is kinda where I am headed, sticking with the wood and going with 1/2 which will save me a LOT of weight right there -- same here it made it 19 years, the cost of "plastic/polymer" stuff is just way to expensive, maybe if I planned to keep it another 15 years I'd go for it...

I only had severe rot around the bottom 2-4" or so and around the seat bottom, so I am going to seal it up around the lower edge and around the lower seat cushion with something and it should be good for many years.

EDIT: and I'm just going to copy the original design supports included.

Last edited by brivander; 11-06-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wood

If your going to use plywood, use exterior grade. The glue will hold up better to the elements.That's if you don't use marine grade. I used 1/2' treated plywood on my sun pad, maybe over kill, but no more rot the last few inches when the drain gets plugged.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander
I only had severe rot around the bottom 2-4" or so and around the seat bottom, so I am going to seal it up around the lower edge and around the lower seat cushion with something and it should be good for many years.
thats exactly where mine had the worst rot. i dont know why they didnt put a layer of glass over the bottom. Looks like with it being open, it eventually just absorbed any standing water. we are going to glass it all in this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.