Page Motorsports in Key West

Notices

Page Motorsports in Key West

Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Over the past few days we've lost three really fine people in Offshore racing accidents in Key West. While we mourn their loss, I can't help but believe these tragedies might have been preventable. Racing always involves a risk, yet over the years, groups like UIM and APBA with the insight of Bob Wartinger, Ron Jones Sr, Jeff Neff, George Linder, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hanson, Scott Raney, Rich Luhrs... and others, we've developed safety standards in at least the Unlimited Hydroplane category that have been tested thru well over 100 accidents over 150 MPH. My crash in July was a direct T bone at over 100 MPH and both Dave Vilwock and I walked away. J.W Meyers hit the wall at Detroit at over 100 MPH and receievd a broken foot, and is back racing with us. These designs work. They are snug, with a top hatch and a bottom hatch. there is little room for extremity acceleration in a crash, we have HANS devices to protect our necks, full time air, multiple point harnesses, etc. The canopies used in Offshore racing face different loads and in my opinion, after 40 years of racing, aren't sufficient to meet the current speeds. They are too large, too much flat surface, and not enough structural support. We can do better, there are people in place that can make it better. As we mourn Bob, Jeff and Joey, let their deaths put a new emphasis on consolidating the safety expertise that is available and doing everything humanly possible to prevent future tragedies. Saying "it's just racing" or they "died doing what they loved" just doesn't cut it. I was with Joey Gratton and his kids in San Diego just 7 weeks ago, they didn't come any more professional, any more loving, any more of being the best at what he did. God, please take care of Joey and hold his family in your palm.
Couldn't agree more about your statement. We need to protect the racers at the speeds they do now when a crash happens.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP.

Nunez Family - Pantera Boats
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RIP
God Speed
Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Couldn't agree more about your statement. We need to protect the racers at the speeds they do now when a crash happens.
X2 So true and well said. NASCAR fixed their safety problem and it is time Offshore Racing update it's safety requirements if they expect the sport to survive.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Thoughts and prayers.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't sign on until later today and was slapped in the face with the news about another accident,
Very sad and a terrible week for offshore racing

Joey you will be in our prayers RIP
God Speed

Jim
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Registered

RIP Joey, praying for a speedy recovery for Steve.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Registered

heartfelt condolences go out to all involved very sad day in a sport we all love RIP
Old 11-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Registered

Rip
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

RIP
My sincere condolences to family and friends..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.