Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good article from the Sarasota newspaper:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...s-risky-career
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 PM
DJD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said my old friend.
What a tragic week. RIP Bob, Jeff and Joey..........

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Over the past few days we've lost three really fine people in Offshore racing accidents in Key West. While we mourn their loss, I can't help but believe these tragedies might have been preventable. Racing always involves a risk, yet over the years, groups like UIM and APBA with the insight of Bob Wartinger, Ron Jones Sr, Jeff Neff, George Linder, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hanson, Scott Raney, Rich Luhrs... and others, we've developed safety standards in at least the Unlimited Hydroplane category that have been tested thru well over 100 accidents over 150 MPH. My crash in July was a direct T bone at over 100 MPH and both Dave Vilwock and I walked away. J.W Meyers hit the wall at Detroit at over 100 MPH and receievd a broken foot, and is back racing with us. These designs work. They are snug, with a top hatch and a bottom hatch. there is little room for extremity acceleration in a crash, we have HANS devices to protect our necks, full time air, multiple point harnesses, etc. The canopies used in Offshore racing face different loads and in my opinion, after 40 years of racing, aren't sufficient to meet the current speeds. They are too large, too much flat surface, and not enough structural support. We can do better, there are people in place that can make it better. As we mourn Bob, Jeff and Joey, let their deaths put a new emphasis on consolidating the safety expertise that is available and doing everything humanly possible to prevent future tragedies. Saying "it's just racing" or they "died doing what they loved" just doesn't cut it. I was with Joey Gratton and his kids in San Diego just 7 weeks ago, they didn't come any more professional, any more loving, any more of being the best at what he did. God, please take care of Joey and hold his family in your palm.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our condolences to Joey's family.

Godspeed to Steve on a quick recovery.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

I have tried to wright this post several times but the words just would not come out. When I started to race i had two mentors, Bob Morgan and Jerry Gilbreth. I would ask Bob about set up for each race and he was always willing to help with info and tools if I needed them. I sold boats to Bob and I bought them from him also. I also had the great privilege to race against Joey. Joey was running the "Dirty Duck" with Slug Hufner and I was in the "American Dream". We were competitors but we were also in the same MTI family. Over the years I grew to know his wife and boys and he became a role model for me. I am now the father of a son and I have the hope of the same type of relationship with my son that he was able to have with his. I never had the honor to meet JT but I know for sure that he was a great guy and a fine racer. Offshore racing has lost three of the good ones this week. I offer my sincere condolences to all of the families.

God speed,

Michael Jordan
Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Cool article on Joey's nephew's swamp buggy win this weekend - dedicated to Joey:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/...p_buggy_races/
Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

out of these accidents --Should and Will create change

Steve David hit it on the head with the new standareds that need to be applied to these boats

"Gods Speed" means somthing all together differnt in heaven today
a very sad and sobering week
Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Banned

Prayers to the Page Motorsports Team and their families

RIP

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Rip
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a horrible few days for the offshore community.
RIP
Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

Rest in peace.

My thoughts and prayers go to Joey's family and friends

Last edited by SLT Kota; 11-15-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.