Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bill272, Freckles, or anyone who uses DNR Ramp >

Bill272, Freckles, or anyone who uses DNR Ramp

Notices

Bill272, Freckles, or anyone who uses DNR Ramp

Old 06-14-2002, 09:30 AM
jr

Default Bill272, Freckles, or anyone who uses DNR Ramp

I was out at the DNR ramp on South River Road on Monday. I noticed a sign that gives a closing time of 11:00 PM. Do they actually lock up the gates at 11:00 PM and your trapped if your late? What about leaving your truck and trailer overnight? Have you had any problems? Thanks guys/gals.

Old 06-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to worry, you can always get out. The selfridge one says the same thing, I pulled in there at 1:30 am wednesday and pulled out and trailered out of there. The gate in was open half way, and the gate out was shut, but it's on a automatic mechanical gate which opens when you pull up to it. South river is the same way. Never had a problem.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff, What Rob said. We came back one night around 2:00 am last year after the fireworks. The gate's closed, but you pull up and a sensor opens it.

A few years ago, we had to leave our Liberator at the launch overnight (on the trailer) because the drive fuse blew and wouldn't bring the drive up. We let the person at the gate know, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I know the Cardsharks (and others) leave their vehicles and trailers overnight at times.

So, does this mean you are in the water and running???

Christine
Old 06-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

all,
The new DNR ramp adjacent to the spillway is now open.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:12 PM
jr

Yes, Freckles it's finally up and running...for now. We had it out Monday, but I had cooling problems. It was running too cool. Turns out when I rebuilt the engines last year I put the thermostats back in the right spot, but was missing a part and they weren't working right. The last owner had them in the wrong spot but they sort of worked. Now I have to find breaks between the kids activities so I can take it out. I never remember being that busy as a kid, do you?

Ed, I looked at the ramp a while back. I really didn't like that there was no break wall protecting the ramp from the lake. There were some pretty good waves breaking on the ramp. I think I would make launching a bit of a pain. But maybe it will take some of the pressure off the South River Road Ramp.

Old 06-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

WOW, with no breakwall those ramp will be difficult with east winds or cruiser chop. I never went into the facility and assumed they had a wall of some sort.
They will be great for the weeknight fishermen.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:04 PM
jr

Thats what I thought too. Maybe something is in the works for later, but when I was there this Spring there was all kinds for crap washed up on the ramp. I also noticed Monday that guys with longer trailers were parking off on the grass on the south side. My trailer would probably hang 3 quarters of the way across the isle.

My brother and I were loading my Dads boat this fall on a ramp in Canada. The ramp angled slighly out into the St. Clair River, and as luck would have it there was a South wind. The waves rolling into the ramp were probably a foot and a half. I ended up in the water up to my waist holding the boat because it was bouncing so bad. What a royal pain. Not to mention the water is kinda cool at the end of October.