Notices

Geico take out turbines?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe

I thought Buzzi was very big on that and I don't think many liked it becuase it was like sitting in a tight capsule but if memory serves me this had been being done 20 years ago and then gave way to the bigger cockpit as people suggest race/poker run design?
Over in Class one at least the separate pods got banned.
The reason for this was it took rescuers a lot more time to check two pods than a canopy if my memory serves correct.
A side by Side monocoque would be a good thing with separate compartments IMO. Keep the open space to fly around to a minimum and at the same time lessen the size of the cockpits.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner
Marc had a great post ... but in my opinion Miss Geico might not care if they have anyone to race in their class. They have a great big flashy boat that "everyone " is around in the pits, kids cant stop looking, and adults cant stop talking about it !! Geico and their team has spent alot of money to build a great racing team even if they have nobody to compete against. My 8 year old son has Geico posters and signed autographs from the Geico team and he has no idea what they do or who is in 1st , 2 nd or 3rd !! All he knows is Miss Geico is running fast and cool... and thats really all Geico wants is a great return on their advertising investment in another form o motorsports... and I hope its working cause they are a specticule to see and the turbines are awesome to hear... no matter who is or isnt there to race them !!
I think your son is old enough to agree with me, that Marc and Scotty are even much older than him, and that because of this they think in a much more complicated (he might not understand the term "complex") manner than he -still- does.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no limits
2 words...class act.
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I finished reading what was out on this thread so far and I agree a little bit with most of you. The GEICO team brings class and money and flash to the races, and this will eventually bring more money into the sport. That Skater V hull is incredible, especially the fly by's. Thanks guys for that on Friday.

My thoughts on the turbines are that some other teams better get going here pretty soon to get the seat time and the testing, because with GEICO getting all the time in on the tracks, even if a comparible team showed up out of no where.... Would they be able to compete at those speeds without the practice?

Anyway, leave GEICO alone. They have the cash and the flash, and obviously a lot of class if they turned the engines down for this year.

They bring a lot more to the table in long term and we should be glad that someone figured out how to get a big sponsor like them into the world of powerboating.

Guys should stop complaining and go find another big sponsor.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
I finished reading what was out on this thread so far and I agree a little bit with most of you. The GEICO team brings class and money and flash to the races, and this will eventually bring more money into the sport. That Skater V hull is incredible, especially the fly by's. Thanks guys for that on Friday.

My thoughts on the turbines are that some other teams better get going here pretty soon to get the seat time and the testing, because with GEICO getting all the time in on the tracks, even if a comparible team showed up out of no where.... Would they be able to compete at those speeds without the practice?

Anyway, leave GEICO alone. They have the cash and the flash, and obviously a lot of class if they turned the engines down for this year.

They bring a lot more to the table in long term and we should be glad that someone figured out how to get a big sponsor like them into the world of powerboating.

Guys should stop complaining and go find another big sponsor.
wonder what GEICO thinks at the corporate level about boat racing
after last weekend ?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
after last weekend ?
You don't see air racing shutting down after what happened in Vegas and Earnhart hitting the wall didnt shut down NASCAR.

These things happen, they are very very unfortunate, and a huge pot hole on the road to the dream of building powerboat racing into what it can be, but it won't be the end at all.

With every stumble in life we get the opportunity to stop, take a look back at the cause, and learn how to do our best to prevent it from hapening again, but it doesn't mean we quit moving forward.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Registered

Wow!!!! I'm very impressed with the comments posted by the Gieco team. My son has been a huge fan of your boat for a few years and was the one that interduced me to your boat. Well all I can say is what a class act and everyone should be honored to be racing along side these guys. The sport so be very honored to have such a class act representing the sport. Good luck to everyone and please be safe out there racing
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by aex
So logical .
Offshore racing needs a Bill France .
exactly.... Bill would have stopped the race, and any further scheduled racing next year, until things get sorted out, guidelines are established, and standards are in place....

IMO, a Promoter has a legal and moral obligation to look after his racers FIRST, if 3 racers died in a NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide, or ARCA race the same week does anyone here really think something wouldn't be done?

This IS the World Series of boat racing right?

There's no reason not to have World Class Safety

IMO, JC should step up and lead this parade, or step aside..

it's not all about the Benjamin's
Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Call me a n*t swinger if you want but this sport wouldn't be the same if it weren't for the Miss Geico team. They have done more for the sport than anyone in the last decade.

I've always loved fast boats but I never really followed the offshore racing scene before seeing miss geico and (kind of randomly) "Pump it" racing in Chattanooga a few years back.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
after last weekend ?
Originally Posted by jeff1000man
You don't see air racing shutting down after what happened in Vegas and Earnhart hitting the wall didnt shut down NASCAR.

These things happen, they are very very unfortunate, and a huge pot hole on the road to the dream of building powerboat racing into what it can be, but it won't be the end at all.

With every stumble in life we get the opportunity to stop, take a look back at the cause, and learn how to do our best to prevent it from hapening again, but it doesn't mean we quit moving forward.

What I was thinking is GEICO may/could choose to remove their sponsorship from the race team and whatever series they sponsor. This is based on an insurance company sponsoring events or entrants where death occurs in high speed vehicles. Probably not a good image for a insurance company. Sponsors come and go at their whims not ours.
I'm not suggesting a race series or race circuit get canceled but possibly a individual sponsor may choose to leave. I hope not as they could be the driving force towards unification and improved safety. They could also leave if these things fail.
ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.