Notices

Warpaint Crash Pics

Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They need better control of the rules. Canopy certification that last 3-5 years and then replace. Replace after an incident where the canopy takes a hit. Structural support ctiteria for canopy system and possible uses of head restraint systems all need to be looked at.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Very scary. Brings back terrible memories for me. I'm glad they are ok.

Question: If the failure point of the canopy is the top collapsing from the force of the water, would some time of roll cage or reinforcement solve that issue?

I'm sure it can't be that simple, but wouldn't the troubleshooting begin at the point of the failure?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Very scary. Brings back terrible memories for me. I'm glad they are ok.

Question: If the failure point of the canopy is the top collapsing from the force of the water, would some time of roll cage or reinforcement solve that issue?

I'm sure it can't be that simple, but wouldn't the troubleshooting begin at the point of the failure?
Yes a "cage" would help even a composite one but there gotta be a hatch too there which makes it problematic.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad they R OK! Those pix R crazy!!!!! I'm lucky I can take a single shot w/ my pocket camera!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 AM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One obvious first step would be to narrow that canopy surface area by at least 50%. As long as it remains so spread out, it will keep collapsing with the pressure of the water.
And also make sure there is a second hatch on the tunnel floor (under them) for quick extraction by rescue when the boat is upsidedown. Two things that will make a huge difference in safety.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear they are okay.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Just my opinion but if Drag boats can crash and disintegrate at 220 mph I think there's something that can be done better with boats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc4tMvI2XjM
The only problem with the drag boat comparison is that Offshore boats are at least three to four times heavier, and Force = Mass x Acceleration. The structural load on an offshore cockpit is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than on a drag boat or tunnel boat, or even an unlimited hydroplane. I think it (offshore cockpit safety) probably can be done, but it definitely has its own unique set of circumstances.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Now Is The Time for Action!

My personal opinion as an engineer is to stop looking at the canopy of the boat for safety designs and the boats outer hull as a safety control. Look to seperate internal structure under the canopy, occupant restraint systems and better extraction structure to allow quick exit or retrieval of the racers when the boat is upsidedown or sinking. Have you ever seen a race car without a roll cage?!!! Why do high speed car racers use Hans devices?!!! How long can an injured or unconcious racer breathe under water?!!! Lastly , lets not forget to incorporate this type of safety construction and features in the recreational boats who are capable of the same speeds and potential damage and injury!! Its only a matter of time when this type of tragedy will strike again in the recreational scene!
Another post was started today with commentary from a Miami Florida newspaper on banning this type of boat racing.
This is a warning shot over the bow! Our industry must get moving quickly on this need!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TGC-32
The only problem with the drag boat comparison is that Offshore boats are at least three to four times heavier, and Force = Mass x Acceleration. The structural load on an offshore cockpit is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than on a drag boat or tunnel boat, or even an unlimited hydroplane. I think it (offshore cockpit safety) probably can be done, but it definitely has its own unique set of circumstances.
I like the idea of building the cockpit as a completely separate part of the boat with its own liner, roll cage and all as an integral part of the pod. It also breeds better quality control across the board and makes it easier for the race organizations to inspect a boat prior to a race. Nowadays, I bet they just sorta look at it and give a thumbs up...( I know that's not always the case, just exaggerating)

It think of it like taking an engineering drawing of say a hydro pod, super-sizing and building stronger due to the size, weight etc. I know there was a group of racers who did a lot of the ground work for this but I just think maybe it needs to go to the next level? It's like building an overpass versus the Verrazano Bridge. A structural engineer would design it, then it would be tested and certified.

Sorry if I come off strong, I just hate seeing us lose more racers, friends an aquaintence or maybe even losing family one day...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonmiami

here is the broken canopy, hull seems fine
Incredible shots, Jim. Which boat were you on?

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.