Notices

Warpaint Crash Pics

Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was on the sebago, shooting into the sun most of the day and super choppy...was not a pleasureable afternoon
Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Yes a "cage" would help even a composite one but there gotta be a hatch too there which makes it problematic.
there are some with cages now, seen pics of one glassed in and another up against the roof. maybe someone has the pics. nice set of pics too. glad they made.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
nobody has addressed the fact that in all instances the plexi/lexan/whatever/ windscreens imploded on impact,,, the resulting incoming water pressure and volume THEN tore the canopy away from the supports

you don't see aircraft windshields doing this when they hit rain at 400-500 mph....

which begs the question, what thickness or mil rating is the clear glass/plastic/lexan/whatever?
Jim, why did you tell me to f&&k off for daring to question canopy strength on another forum but here you are discussing it and also questioning the viability of canopies? That's all I was doing on the other forum. Amazing pictures BTW and glad that all were OK this time. This could have been another bad one the way the canopy failed.

My posts:
So now I wonder if these canopies provide a false sense of safety and maybe they should revisit this issue. In comparison, drag boats use break-away capsules with fighter jet canopies and unlimited hydroplane capsules seem bulletproof. Maybe something can be learned from this tragedy.

I watched that video over and over and it looks like the canopy should have held up better. And if it's not OK to talk about this now then when exactly will it be OK???? In another week no one will be discussing it and it will be just another boating fatality that we have put behind us. That is, excepting those immediately affected by it. So don't tell me not to talk about it. I am not disrespecting or blaming anyone. Just maybe there should be some standards set to help prevent this in the future.

Your response:
Carl, how does a failed canopy on a dead man's boat DIRECTLY AFFECT YOU??

it doesn't, and if you don't like that statement, you can go f&&k yourself

the OSO pic's were respectfully deleted so as not to adversely affect the somber mood, and re-direct un-needed pile-on comments from morbid people like you, that have no direct affect as to the design, engineering, or use thereof.

if your still that morbidly curious, then call Peter at Skater and ask him DIRECTLY, the general internet public won't know the answer so why badger everybody...

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 11-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonmiami
i was on the sebago, shooting into the sun most of the day and super choppy...was not a pleasureable afternoon
I feel your pain- sun gets kinda sharp as the day goes on.

That sequence has gotta make up for it!

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Ouch !!! Been there done that, not good!

Absolutely fantastic shots, you can see it comming. The fly, trip, and the stuff.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I may have this completely wrong but I heard the issue with Page's accident was they could not get the hatch open and needed a crowbar?

Wow ! That boat had two hatch's.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Carl, the bodies were still warm when you started your rant, the event is over now... besides, my question revolves around the windshield integrity not the canopy construciton itself..

I stand by what I said AT THAT TIME
Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
Baloney! The rest of the boat looks like it faired very well, the only significant structural failure I see is the canopy. There's no reason this couldn't have been prevented or even minimized by a more robust design (in both layup, polycarbonate thickness and attachment, and overall design).

You're never going to make something fail-proof, but there's obviously plenty of room for improvement here!!!
Amen

Theres alot that can be done here for sure, Polycarbonate should easily be able to get to a thickness where it would hold up at the very least.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

also Nikon those are incredible pics.

crash photos are important IMO because they help people have a healthy respect for what can unfortunately happen.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonny Hawkins has been working on this for a while.

http://www.tigerperformance.com/powerpoint.html

Also, when John Arruda was building the Mary Mac boat I asked about the canopy glass. Was informed that it was two inches thick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.