Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
watch out for alco marine and the new owners! >

watch out for alco marine and the new owners!

Notices

watch out for alco marine and the new owners!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Not sure about boats but car repairs are generally charged by a flat rate. The way auto mechanics make $ is to beat the flat rate. If you can knock out a 10 hour job in 5 hours you make money. On the other hand though, if that 10 hour job takes 12 hours you still get paid 10 hours labor. You didn't necessarily get screwed.
never heard of a flate rate for boat repair. and 600 sounds high for cleaning carbs, but I see there is one from what Sean and others are saying. wow I have friends that own a boat dealership, never heard of it. I always get a quote 1st, and give them when I did work.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered

A. You should of gotten a quote.
B. Marine Tech's make money on a flat rate just like the auto biz ..... I'm in both and have been doing it for many many yrs.
C. You should of gotten a quote.
D. Has it been in salt water? If so - you can take any labor rate manual and throw it away. (Maybe not in this case - but 90% of the others)
E. You should of gotten a quote.
F. The only carb job I've seen in the $6's on an outboard is an older Yamaha because the kits are out - frikkin - rageous....
G. You should .... well you know......
Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
never heard of a flate rate for boat repair. and 600 sounds high for cleaning carbs, but I see there is one from what Sean and others are saying. wow I have friends that own a boat dealership, never heard of it. I always get a quote 1st, and give them when I did work.
Flat rate is how merc dealers get paid for warranty work
Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Estimate should have been given beforehand for the customer approval to start the work.

All true marine repair and or dealerships have or go by the marine flat rate plus all have a minimum charge to look at your boat even if you turn down the estimate / work.

Also a shop can add on top of the flat rate for interior removal / corrosion issues /shop supplies/ chemical dump / oil dump and so on and so on.

Outboard Carbs to remove - teardown - clean - rebuild with new kits - install back -sync & link - run / load test - adjust carbs - write up work repair bill. Its a min of 1 hour per carb so not knowing what hp outboard / year / model you have - so for the money end of this repair bill is take how many carbs you have x 's that by the shop labor rate.

Also keep in mind the carbs are on the front side of the powerhead not the easiest to get at sometimes especially on a pontoon boat. Try it sometime you might be glad to pay the 600 bucks.
Then add for the carb kits anywhere from 25 to 80 bucks a piece and then add shop supplies / cleaner dump.

Also some shops charge 1.5 hours per carb. or 1.5 for the 1st carb then a hour for every carb after that. Hope this helps. If you have 6 carbs you got away cheap - Again have no idea what motor is on your Skeeter most likely a Yamaha since Yama owns Skeeter. Also the fuel filter motor side should have been checked and cleaned.

Last edited by BUP; 11-19-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Last edited by starvin marvin; 11-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

I had the Yamaha dealership do some work on my waverunner this past summer and it was $129 per hour shop rate, plus I think 7% or something like that for supplies. The insurance company wanted me to take it there (it was thier dime). They never did find the problem. Yes, it was $129 and hour.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There are many dealerships inland that the labor rates are 100 to 150 an hour. Most Cobalt dealerships are somewhere in that range. Dealing with 100 % saltwater boats without question should be at least this range.

Oh 115 hp who in the world cleans outboard carbs without even at least putting new gaskets on after removal / tear down or did they just sprayed carb cleaner into the carbs while running the motor they have no idea about outboards. Washing down the cylinders is totally not recommended for any 2 stroke motor nor is using starting fluid. FYI good luck. Yes 600 bucks was high.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Spader is the flat rate we go by...

http://www.spader.com/images/data/fi...RateSample.pdf

Spader Clean Carb OB ( Dual) 2.0 Hours each
Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

wtfc!