Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Learning from a boating related tragedy. >

Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Notices

Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Old 06-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families and people involved.
I can't even bring myself to think what the driver of the boat must be going through right now.
I do appreciate the thread, becasue I have four small children that love to go tubing, jet-skiing, etc. and it really makes me stop and think.
Thank you for posting this and I hope you can convey the sentiment from this board.
John Fairleigh
Old 06-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem TBikini. A friend of my son was involved in an accident right outside my office this week. Chasing a buddy through a left hand turn at an intersection. Didn't see the semi right in front of him. He's broken up bad, but he will recover. On land or water, constant vigilence is required....

(Will I seen that new AT docked at Eastport any time soon?)
Old 06-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My deepest Condolences
Old 06-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our hearts go out to their family and friends. Things can turn so tragic so quickly. We all enjoy the water and sometimes forget how fast things can happen. My thoughts and prayers for the family and the children recovering. Is there an email or address we can send some condolences?
Old 06-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Registered

Saw the coverage on the news the last couple days, made me sick to hear what happened, but yes, we can ALL learn several lessons from this...just a hard sad way to learn.

WM
Old 06-14-2002, 06:25 PM
BK
Registered

Unhappy

That is so terribly sad.

Last weekend we took our boat out for the first time. Our boys (ages 5 and 8) were on the tube for the first time and having a blast.

Shortly after they came on back on board, we started to head out of the main body and into a narrower canyon ....there were several boats ahead of us, all heading the same direction as we were....

I was sitting in the back seat and my husband turned to look at me -- just for an instant. Suddenly, the pontoon on our right, decided to cut sharp to the left out of the blue -- directly into our path! My husband was still looking back at me, so I screamed "Look out!"..... at my scream, he suddenly changed course, and we were able to avoid a very horrible accident.

I thought how glad I was that the kids weren't on the tube at the time the pontoon decided to cut across!

Accidents can happen so fast.....
........Even when you've had nothing to drink.

I feel so badly for the families involved.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:46 PM
Registered

BK - you sound like on heck of a NAVIGATOR - keep up the good work.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Registered

Tragic
Old 06-14-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

What a terrible tragedy.

This has a lot less to do with having a drink when boating than paying attention when driving. When pulling anyone behind a boat on a tube, skis, or whatever, you must have a driver and a spotter and both jobs are important and require focused attention. If the driver is watching the skier or tuber, he's not driving and may a well be sitting in the back of the boat. Same goes for the spotter. I saw a coupe of fishermen almost get their boat cut in two by a boat pulling a tube, with 4 people in it all looking back. Someone either heard them yelling or saw them standing and waving their arms and lifejackets at the last minute, because they did peel away just as we though we'd hear the impact. Everybody in or connected to your boat (and those in your path) has their lives in your hands. Be responsible and don't let them down.

I surrender the soapbox now. What a horrible accident for all involved and my condolences go out to both families.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Thunder Roy

Quick Reply: Learning from a boating related tragedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.