Sterling Deep Into Ethanol Fuel System Testing

Notices

Sterling Deep Into Ethanol Fuel System Testing

Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Sterling Deep Into Ethanol Fuel System Testing

Interesting—and amusing, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...m-testing.html.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Interesting, I recently did some dyno testing on a NA 455 Pontiac with EFI and found a small hp/tq gain on e-85. Funny thing was it didn't take 30% more like I have always read to get afr's and egts inline, Smitty
Old 11-22-2011, 05:14 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Seems to work well under boost.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question How Sure Are We That Ethanol Is Good For Boats! ??

As I have said a few times on OSO. Its not the short term effects of ethanol blended gasoline I am concerned about or the idea that it can't be made to make power.
What we need to know from these tests now and in the near future is : What are the long term effects and damage that ethanol, especially E85 that the agencies want to mandate now can do to our performance engines and fuel systems in boats and what are the long term fuel storage issues that are a must in boats ???
It seems as though very few boaters here on OSO are thinking about the real overall effects and especially what financial issues this potential problem and damage can create in an already foundering industry!
"When in Doubt! Lets Check it Out!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry can't resist but why not send the rebuild costs of these high dollar high performance engines to the advocates of ethanol fuels. Unfortunately they would probably screw it into a dot bill so our infrastructure bill would suffer & another bridge would fall down or see it as an educational issue & drop teachers wages some more. If there were a way that everyone in the US could stop driving for a month or two I'm sure the govt & oil companies would definately take notice.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

What's kind of cool (unrelated to ethanol, which doesn't seem very cool in marine engine applications at this point) is the durability testing Sterling does. I was talking to Mike D'Anniballe earlier this year, and he was talking about running fuel pumps for something like 10,000 hours.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I wonder if in Brazil you fill up the car and then slip a little juice out of the pump into your half empty Gatorade bottle?!

I'm just glad my marina still carries ethanol-free 89 octane. There are also two filling stations in town that carry ethanol-free 87 octane. All the marinas I fuel at in LOTO also are ethanol-free.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I wonder if in Brazil you fill up the car and then slip a little juice out of the pump into your half empty Gatorade bottle?!

I'm just glad my marina still carries ethanol-free 89 octane. There are also two filling stations in town that carry ethanol-free 87 octane. All the marinas I fuel at in LOTO also are ethanol-free.
I'm glad someone else sees the humor in it. D'Anniballe and I were laughing pretty hard about it yesterday.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Sorry can't resist but why not send the rebuild costs of these high dollar high performance engines to the advocates of ethanol fuels. Unfortunately they would probably screw it into a dot bill so our infrastructure bill would suffer & another bridge would fall down or see it as an educational issue & drop teachers wages some more. If there were a way that everyone in the US could stop driving for a month or two I'm sure the govt & oil companies would definately take notice.
Just get a poor fisherman on camera to explain why he can't feed or provide for his family because his 2 stroke blew up due to ethanol. Then ambush the politicians with reporters asking why they hate poor people.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This month's Boat US magazine has an article on the myths of 10% Ethanol fuels. The gist of the article is that it isn't as bad as some say, in certain areas. The problem is that ALL the negatives were not dispelled in this article. The major problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that we are all paying more for fuel than the price at the pump would indicate. After the introduction of 10% Ethanol, my vehicles all got 20% less fuel mileage. This means that, to compare to regular gasoline, we are not only paying outrageuos pump prices but they actually are 20% higher than they would be with regular gas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.