Donzi 35 ZR or Fountain 35 Lightning

Notices

Donzi 35 ZR or Fountain 35 Lightning

Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom A.

As for the thread topic:
Donzi Zrs have a nice cockpit layout, great speed and handling but lack in cabin headroom.
It is a true 35' boat and rides like a larger boat than it is.
The fountains are equally fast with a smaller cockpit and headroom and only a 32' running surface.
Are you sure that a 35 Donzi ZR doesn't include the swim platform in the measurement? First I've heard that.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Are you sure that a 35 Donzi ZR doesn't include the swim platform in the measurement? First I've heard that.
I was also under the impression the 35' includes the built in swim platform.

I am thinking about a boat in your size range a few years down teh road and the 3 boats I am looking at are the 33 Active Thunder, 35 Donzi and 344 Hustler. The AT is definitely the biggest of the 3 and will likely handle the rough water the best. They have only built about 6 of them though...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Donzi is 35 including the platform. Both the Fountain and the Donzi also have notched transoms so that is a wash too. The Donzi is a bit longer LOA and the fountain has the beak. Length wise I'd say the Donzi is a foot and a half longer in the real world. That isn't enough to push anyone either way IMO.

The Beam though... I think Fountain is 8'4" vs the full 8'6" of the Donzi.

The other measurement that will be way different is the hull height to the rub rail. Fountain loves to put a lot of deck on above the rail, which makes the bottom half of the boat smaller. This to me is a pretty big difference in favor of the Donzi.

With all that said if I wanted the fastest boat for a given power, Fountain will be the winner. If I want better ride, more interior space, nicer cabin, and pretty close performance wise, Donzi. so for me personally... Donzi.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice 37 A/T at national liquidators. Looks like a nice boat.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng

Sorry, after re-reading my post it does look like that is what I am saying. I meant to say it rides like a true 35' boat (rides like a bigger boat) and after riding in both, there is no comparison when it comes to ride quality on anything other than a calm day. The 38Zr takes it up another level completely. That boat is almost 39' long and has an 8'8" beam.

The 35 Zr Donzi is 35'3" overall including the swim platform.
The 35 Fountain is 35' beak to tail.
Both boats have an 8'6" beam.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had a ride in very rough and windy conditions on the north side of Anguilla in a Sonic 386. The boat had no trouble with big water and provided a smooth, dry ride. Here's one with 525's...

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/9026
Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take the 35 or 38 Fountain!!!! Have a deeper cockpit then the Donzi, and its my personal preference! The updated 07+ Dash and cockpits are awesome!
Have to love this site - the guy asks for an opinion between two great boats, his preferences, and he gets some jacka$$ responses trying to offer him everything from a canoe to a fri*$%* sailboat! Happens everytime! Not saying there aren't good alternatives out there, but thats not what he asked about. If I had my heart set on a Corvette or camaro I wouldn't like to have a Mustang or Nissan recommendation. Hey heres my opinion forget the offshore boat you should go shopping for a Volkswagen Beetle, way cooler trust me! Save gas money too!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

You really should try to get a water test in what ever you are interested in. What I prefer in a boat or anyone else may be alot different than you. Have owned 5 Fountains so you know what my preference is. That said Donzi, Sonic, A/T are all nice options.
One word of advice...dont price what you can afford to buy. Price what you can afford to fix. They will all break at some point. 50hrs or 450hrs, it doesnt matter. Could be a drive, motor, electrical problem ect. Its just the nature of the beast. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
The Beam though... I think Fountain is 8'4" vs the full 8'6" of the Donzi.

The Fountain is also 8'6".

If you are going to buy a new boat, forget Donzi and Fountain, too many issues with those at the moment. One that has not been mentioned is the Sunsation 36'. It's about as fast as the Donzi 35' and the Fountain 38'. My guess is that it will be in Miami.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
The Fountain is also 8'6".

If you are going to buy a new boat, forget Donzi and Fountain, too many issues with those at the moment. One that has not been mentioned is the Sunsation 36'. It's about as fast as the Donzi 35' and the Fountain 38'. My guess is that it will be in Miami.
The 36' Sunsation has a 3' intergrated swim platform, no way I would spend the $$$'s they want for those things to end up with a 33' boat. Might as well go with a brand new custom built to your specs 33 AT and save a ton of money. Just my .02.

Last edited by TCBoss302; 11-29-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.