Notices

Auto Gen start for AC?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Gen start for AC?

I have not seen this, so someone may make something that does this... if so please post links! ha.

say you are overnighting out on the boat, its 80 at night.. (I live in the south) and you want AC, but dont want to run the genny all night long. Does anyone make a system that will, turn on the genny blower, crank the genny, and cycle the AC back on... after the temp go so far past the thermostate setting? then once its so far above shut it all back down? would be awsome if it would do that when it needs to cycle the AC>...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've never seen anything like that. I think starting the genset is a manual process (to an extent) for safety reasons. You worried about sound? Fuel savings? Mine doesn't have an insulated box and it's not loud at all with the hatch closed. I think it sips about a gal per hour....small price to pay for comfort

That being said, there are house gensets that automatically "kick" on in the event of a power outage so it may not be out of the question.

Last edited by Baja_342; 11-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How would the AC thermostat know that the cabin temperature has risen too far if it has been powered down?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

I was thinking more on like a control box that runs off DC..

say you set it at 70 degrees. at 72 (it would know casue its powered by batterys..) it turns on the blower, and then some relays, and then gives the genny power to start (its just a switch like an ignition) to start the genny, then once a certain power level is detected it turns on power to you AC themostate..... once the temp drops beflore 68... it tuns off AC, kills genny, and cuts blowers off after say 2 min,,,, and make this all plug in... to say the back of the thermos stat, the back of the genny controls... so its plug and play.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered

SO you guys run the genny all night? 8-10 hours of hung over sleep? seams the other boats with me would like the quite.

i know i do right now when i dont have that option.

also you have to tink of other boats tired up, with out Carbon monoxide alarms.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered

HA!!!! I am not the only one

"Automatically starts and stops your generator, keeping track of the battery voltage and the temperature inside the cabin. Selectable cabin temp. (65°–85°F), battery voltage (10–12V DC or 20–22V DC), generator run time and quiet time."

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50537
Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

and it has 2 AUX out puts too., so you could have the blower hooked up to one of those...

so cabin temp goes above 70... it trips, turns on blower, and starts genny all automaticly.... run time is adjustable from 1-5 hours... set it to 1 hour, and BAM auto genny at night. has a on off switch too so you dont have it cutting on an off.

also can be used to start genny if voltage drops to low....

question is, if you have the AC on... and temp set. and turn off a gen set... can you start the genny again and AC just go back to woringo n the temp set? ordoes it need to be manually turned back on and re set? i guess the other AUX could be used with a relay?