Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   wax or no wax? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/26655-wax-no-wax.html)

CN24 06-15-2002 09:38 PM

wax or no wax?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I need to ask. There has been some debate on roughing up the bottom of the boat. How about waxing? Should the bottom of the hull be waxed or left unwaxed for more speed?

FloridianSon 06-15-2002 09:53 PM

:D You would not find me takeing sand paper to my face because I thought I might go faster on the motorcycle!If I had a good looking gelcoat on my boat I would keep it clean and sealed with some sort of sealer-wax! just my .02:cool:

Von Bongo 06-15-2002 10:00 PM

Clean bottom no wax.

A lot of snailbotes wet sand for the best results

Audiofn 06-16-2002 12:31 AM

Yup clean bottom no wax

BryanTuvell 06-16-2002 08:00 AM

I know I am the odd one out on this one but I wax the hull once a season, keeps it bright and white and the scum washes right off.
IF I loose 1 MPH, big deal...
Bryan

FloridianSon 06-16-2002 08:39 AM

Bryan no I agree .If you are all out racing do anything to give yourself the edge!If you are a weekend warrior and you are looking for more speed then open your engine box get out your checkbook!:cool: I much rather hit it with the pressure washer and all the scum comes off and be done with it and it will resist stains better.If I ever sell mine and buy another when I walk up to to the hull I want to see all of it looking like new not like crap because someone thought and because someone said it would go .01 on GPS faster!:cool: Hell just get a grinding stone on a drill and dimple the heck out of your hull I bet it would go faster and look like a golf ball and you heard it here on OSO:D James

BryanTuvell 06-16-2002 09:04 AM

I hear ya, it is one of those tasks I do laying on my back in the driveway when it rains for something to do.
On the last boat I always used checicals (on & off), the new boat was waxed all over before I put her in for the first time. No need for harsh stuff now.

As far as protection goes we use the McQuiers.

By the way, HAPPY FATHERS day to all....

My breakfast is being made, the kids and better half got me a nice gift, time for a Bloody Mary and a nap later.
Bryan

Gumbydammit 06-16-2002 09:19 PM

Really? No wax?

I think that might be true in the higher speeds, but the little Stingray that pulls my kids on the tube is 2 MPH faster after being waxed.

Could it be that if you are not doing 100, it is different?

Hauling Trash 06-16-2002 09:22 PM

No No No WAX

It slow you down.

Put dish detergent on the hull only it will dewax the hull.

mike

SkysTLimit 03-28-2010 12:48 PM

paint sealant

I would use a paint sealant. Google Detailers Mist. Their sealant is amazing! I couldn't believe the gloss on my fountain! It made the finish look like glass!