Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Manual transmission in a boat!!!! >

Manual transmission in a boat!!!!

Notices

Manual transmission in a boat!!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manual transmission in a boat!!!!

Some boats use a velvet drive trans. I even see some variations of the powerglide 2 speed (coan). A multi speed transmission with closer gear ratio would help some boats accelerate.

Why not a manual trans with a clutch?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtown
Some boats use a velvet drive trans. I even see some variations of the powerglide 2 speed (coan). A multi speed transmission with closer gear ratio would help some boats accelerate.

Why not a manual trans with a clutch?
HI vtown. My first boat was a 16ft shaksphear powerd by a 3.8 jag motor with the 4spead manual trans which went through a u drive then to a stern tube and rudder , we even had the wooden jag dash pannel for the gauges ,bit of a crazzy boat ran about 55mph had a faily flat bottom .first time i took it out we never had any seats in it just 2 x 5gallon steel drums to sit on ,i still have the scars . i have seen a few ski race boats here in England that run auto trans th400 but they take up alot of room in the boat . regards paul
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Registered

Weismann Marine/Traction Products has been making multi-speed transmissions for boats for years, including the six-speed units they used in Class 1 until they were outlawed.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by E Colby
Weismann Marine/Traction Products has been making multi-speed transmissions for boats for years, including the six-speed units they used in Class 1 until they were outlawed.
yes they do, but they arent the kind that the OP is talking about, with a clutch like you find in a car.

I dont know why it wouldnt work, but unless you are going really fast, a multispeed trans isnt going to help you.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Do you really one more thing to break on your boat

Multiple speed trans' have some pretty specific applications involving very high performance boats that require the need to carry a larger prop at slower speeds but still maintain an optimum rpm. I don't think you could shift fast enough to get it to work
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend with basically just this. A manual gearbox (from some car) and he put a automotive bell housing wit a clutch and pressure plate/throw out bearing and he installed a hand clutch lever.

He merely pulls the clutch in and shifts the transmission kinda like an old farm tractor.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use a manual clutch for FNR on some boats. The multispeed we do with a computer controlling the shifts and no clutch.

The biggest problem with a boat is it is like trying to shift when doing a burnout. It is very hard to do correctly but not impossible.

John Connor (Kaama) used to shift our box between the waves in the air, clutchless ,and manual 2 speed, with a cable. Two boxes at the same time. But that was John.

It will allow for a better prop selection with better acceleration and top end.

pat W
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shifter
John Connor (Kaama) used to shift our box between the waves in the air, clutchless ,and manual 2 speed, with a cable. Two boxes at the same time. But that was John
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shifter
We use a manual clutch for FNR on some boats. The multispeed we do with a computer controlling the shifts and no clutch.

The biggest problem with a boat is it is like trying to shift when doing a burnout. It is very hard to do correctly but not impossible.

John Connor (Kaama) used to shift our box between the waves in the air, clutchless ,and manual 2 speed, with a cable. Two boxes at the same time. But that was John.

It will allow for a better prop selection with better acceleration and top end.

pat W
What do you guys charge for your 3 speed auto trans?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what power and what boat?

pat W

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.