Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners >

Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners

Notices

Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a second home on put in bay island. I ues it almost every weekend in the summer and hardly ever in the winter. Was one of the best things I've ever bought. I fly and park my airplane in the front yard. To do this on this island is very tough. (Not many homes with direct acess to the runway) and on the water side. The island is the key west of the north. 30+ bars on a 4X5 mile island.
Attached Thumbnails Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners-img_2383.jpg   Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners-img_4112.jpg   Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners-photo.jpg  

Lakehouse as 2nd Home -- Absentee Owners-dsc05594.jpeg  

Last edited by BraceYourself; 12-08-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Our place is 120 miles door to door. In the summer I am there almost every weekend and 2 weeks. Durring the winter I go up a couple times to sled.

My concerns are break ins, power outages/heat pipe freezes....

Most of the concerns will be addressed when the house is more completed. I will be installing camera's with DVR, Alarm, temp monitoring, back up generator, and a few other things.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a house 5.5 hours away up on the St. Lawrence River. Drive up every weekend I can in the summer (no good place to fly in close). Key is to have good neighbors or someone(or a way) to check on the place if you cannot get there quick. Had some problems this past summer (Tree fell on the house) and that caused some headaches and emergency drive up but wasn't terrible. We just blow out the water system for the winter...not worth it to keep it heated. Think the rest of the points here are spot on. Wouldn't have it anyother way(except maybe live a couple hours closer!)
Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Some good stuff here. Thank you.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a house at the lake that is 38 miles (45 minutes) door to door. We are there almost every weekend year around. It’s a secluded location with no visibility of other houses. I’m planning to install the security system & cameras also because you just never know… Every time I drive up the lane, I’m just hoping I don’t see a door hanging wide open.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Have a home in Wisconsin and the Florida Keys, 1650 miles door to door. We spend 7 month north and 5 months south. Upkeep on the outside of the homes is the biggest issue. But I won't own a vacation "house" if I couldn't spend months there, if it was weekends it would be a condo. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
I have a second home on put in bay island. I ues it almost every weekend in the summer and hardly ever in the winter. Was one of the best things I've ever bought. I fly and park my airplane in the front yard. To do this on this island is very tough. (Not many homes with direct acess to the runway) and on the water side. The island is the key west of the north. 30+ bars on a 4X5 mile island.
Thats what I'm talking about!!! Fly in/out.. to the FRONT DOOR!!

Thats definitely on my "to own" bucket list!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Family has lakehouse 2 hours away. It gets visited almost every weekend. The neighborhood has an HOA with caretaker. We have very good relations with the caretaker and neighbors. Most of the problems we see are power outage and maybe some trees limbs falling from a storm. Usually the neighbor does a walk around after bad storms and its cleaned up by the caretaker before we get there. Very helpful to have full time residents living nearby to help watch your stuff. We run into problems with mice too, but not much that can stop it. Can really suck because if they get into the food you'll be cleaning out the pantry and all the dishes instead of relaxing on the boat all weekend. Private dock is also a PITA. Always needs dredging, water either too high or too low, poles breaking, bolts loosening, always needs something and always cost too much.

Really a great idea though. Wouldn't trade if for nothing. Great for spending time with family and friends because they all come to you and you don't lose any weekends on the water.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 12-12-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

We just signed a contract on one that's 3hrs... and we can get there by water!