Like Tree0Likes

Sportboat Magazine Winter Issue on Newsstands

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32 View Post
Not sure how long you where there but I have been reading it for 25 yrs and how on earth could you have stayed on to the end s it was only for example may/ june was 74 pages and out of 74pages 32 were advertising , truly a joke and not worth paper it was printed on . No way you could have been there and been proud of what you guys did to PB mag .
I worked there for 16 years and was always proud of the work I did for the magazine.

So you know, most magazines strive for a 60/40 editorial to advertising split. That's common.

Was I always proud of the finished product? Near the end, no, but I was proud of the work done by my colleagues Jason Johnson, Bob Teague and Brett Becker.

But my opinion, for what it's worth, is that the former publisher was not committed to the magazine during the last year the company owned it. And trade-offs were made that none of us on the inside necessarily liked or approved of. But ... we were employees and, in my case, freelancers.

My deepest hope is that the new publisher is committed. You don't put 16 years of your life into a magazine and not develop an attachment to the product.

My suggestion? Given it a chance.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24' Baja

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll try to find it locally.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32 SKATER

your colleagues Jason Johnson, Bob Teague and Brett Becker didnt relize that they were boating with the plug out ? I would have quit a long time ago rather than have my name as being part of that mess as compared to say 10 yras ago . To be honest I have been going to my garage and pulling 10 yr old issues because they were the good old days . Also Hotboat was decent as in real rides , not a 2 nillion dollar boat that nobody can afford .
Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Hey, I like what I've read on your site so far! Yeah, where can we find it???
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
I worked there for 16 years and was always proud of the work I did for the magazine.

So you know, most magazines strive for a 60/40 editorial to advertising split. That's common.

Was I always proud of the finished product? Near the end, no, but I was proud of the work done by my colleagues Jason Johnson, Bob Teague and Brett Becker.

But my opinion, for what it's worth, is that the former publisher was not committed to the magazine during the last year the company owned it. And trade-offs were made that none of us on the inside necessarily liked or approved of. But ... we were employees and, in my case, freelancers.

My deepest hope is that the new publisher is committed. You don't put 16 years of your life into a magazine and not develop an attachment to the product.

My suggestion? Given it a chance.
I just got a Powerboat subscription renewal in the mail and promptly sent it in. Hope I didn't lose my lunch money!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure how long you where there but I have been reading it for 25 yrs and how on earth could you have stayed on to the end s it was only for example may/ june was 74 pages and out of 74pages 32 were advertising , truly a joke and not worth paper it was printed on . No way you could have been there and been proud of what you guys did to PB mag .
Without the advertisers you wouldn't have a magazine to even look at.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32 SKATER

That is a fact but my June PB was 74 pages and 32 were adv , that is a joke compared to the PB of ten yrs ago .
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is a fact but my June PB was 74 pages and 32 were adv , that is a joke compared to the PB of ten yrs ago .
No argument. However open that 10 year old magazine and see how many new boat builders were advertising.

Now open that magazine from this year.

Whoops. There's Matt's ratio. It sucks but it is what it is.

And my business is a joke compared to 10 years ago.

Can we make that "CHANGE" soon?
Attached Thumbnails
Sportboat Magazine Winter Issue on Newsstands-article-2-obama-change.jpg  

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 12-08-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
When Powerboat was 120-plus pages, 50 to 60 percent of its was advertising. I am not making this up. I am not guessing. I was there.

Still, I understand your frustration with the last year or so. Guess what? The people responsible for creating and building the publication felt it as well.

However, my friend, magazines are a reflection the the markets they cover. And guess what has happened to the go-fast boat market in the past three and a half years? This is not rocket science. It's economics 101.

To amplify on what Pat at Active Thunder. Without advertisers there are no magazines. But without readers, magazines are not worth advertising in. It's a balancing act.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Quote:
Never heard about your mag and hope its worth the paper its printed on ! I hope it does not have 2 million dollars rides that the real world cant afford and the only reason they get press is because of payment by MFG . Trust me we are the 99% and could care less about a 2 million dollare 51 sportyacht . Real boats please !
Just an example of some of the images you will find in the magazine.

I feel Sportboat is really well rounded on the topics that are written and did a great job keeping itself very different from the other existing publications.

I don't think you will be disappointed...

First issue :

This image went with a story focused on the Poker Runs that make room for the smaller boats:

Current issue:

Very informative and well written articles go along with these as well:

and this one for the Tres Martin Performance Boating School Ad:

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 12-09-2011 at 12:10 AM.