Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International >

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Notices

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Old 01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 731 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
It's quite possible that a lot of racers will be carrying a folding, razor sharp knife in a front pocket now. People have burned alive in cars for being unable to cut their seat belt. And I agree that the rescue team should have had a knife.
http://cvestal.smugmug.com/Motorcycl.../IMG0937-L.jpg

notice the belt cutter in this Dakar race car.
ed
Old 01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should of had a Knife??? That is Standard friggin dive gear some are also a neat tool, No question here.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
http://cvestal.smugmug.com/Motorcycl.../IMG0937-L.jpg

notice the belt cutter in this Dakar race car.
ed
not to offend supposed professional racers or professional boat racing orgs, but...............

apparently no one noticed the standard by which the C1 guys take for their own safety.

i noticed several years ago that the C1 guys had said cutting devices and also dive masks, for just such an incident.

and also i find it quite odd the the lawyer here is looking drag in in-direct sponsors but no mention of pursuing the boat manufacture and manufactures of the safety devices that were in the boat ?

as for the rescue diver not having a knife, well thats just absurd. but then again for those that know the history of SBI, they seem to have a gone through at least 2 of the top rescue crews that specialize in this work. and lets not kid ourselves that the other organizations are that much better.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Should of had a Knife??? That is Standard friggin dive gear some are also a neat tool, No question here.
+1 couldn't catch me in a canopy boat without ones... never have never will.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That was my thought. You're going to strap yourself in with no thought on how to get out? I count on no one when it comes to me.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Registered

For C1 (and UIM cockpit), it's mandatory for a diving mask and a knife (or cutting device for the seat belts). Water activated lights in the canopy is also mandatory, it can get vary dark upside down.

We are racing with one mask and with a cutting device (used by pro sailors) on each vest. On both hatches we have lights to orientate our selves in case something happens.

Since I'm racing with a full face mask (Henry is not), I'm having a spare regulator connected to the big bottle. If I release my harness I only have the small bottle on my leg, which won't last for long. Also - if my mask gets a small cut and leaks, I can change to the regulator. Backup is always good...

Morten

Originally Posted by skaterdave
not to offend supposed professional racers or professional boat racing orgs, but...............

apparently no one noticed the standard by which the C1 guys take for their own safety.

i noticed several years ago that the C1 guys had said cutting devices and also dive masks, for just such an incident.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
British member!
VIP Member

We also race in Europe (UK) and our four man partial canopy boat has inversion operated lighting, glow in the dark arrows, harness cutters for everyone in addition to a knife on all occupants. The great thing about a partial canopy boat in our opinion is that there is no door to get stuck and there isn't a big hole (weak point) over your head.

I should stress it's a monohull and a Cat with an open back would be a very bad idea!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Registered

That's a good idea.