How much $$$$ to paint a boat???

Notices

How much $$$$ to paint a boat???

Old 12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug c
I just got a verbal quote for "around 15k" for prep and one color paint, nothing interior. Removing drives, painting drives, engine compartment, dash, etc would be more depending how much of it they had to remove. This is for a late 90s 38' Cig TG.
Thats about right for a de rigged TG basic color no graphics no metallics.

It really comes down to your budget, find a painter you trust and discuss the options. There is no "cost formula" that we use. Just a word of caution when dealing with a "hungry" painter. If he is any good there is no reason to be hungry, the past three years have been actually pretty good despite the economy. That six or seven thousand dollar paint job will cost far more to correct. I cant even begin to tell you how many butchered jobs i have had to pick up the pieces on. Watch out for shops that bleed money continually out of a project, this is very common and usually a slippery slope. There is no reason to have more then 50% or so in the painters hands before a job is pretty much completed. I generally work on a 30/20/50 spread where the final 50 is at the end of the project. Two things should never be compromised the quality and the budget.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I can tell you is it is gonna cost more than you think.

I don't see how it could cost less than $15k. and as GlassDave said above I'm talking for an already de-rigged boat, one color, no graphics. The amount that of work that goes into painting one of these boats is unbelievable. I had to see it with my own eyes to understand how time consuming it is and how much work. The more you spend the better paint you will get, if you try to cut corners on painting a boat you will be wasting your money in the end.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikebrls
so if it cost you $ 4 k in supply's then it would be safe to say that at a minimum of double your money say $ 8 k if you needed work , and triple + your supply's and charge $ 20 k because you are so busy at work you dont need the work so either you make bank on the job or it's not worth doing
all company's are like this, it's just not painter's , funny thing is im going threw this same thing at my house that need's painting . i have been getting quote's between $ 2k and $ 6 k just for labor on the job, where i supply material i will probably go with the guy in the middle @ around 4200.
Materials money is black and white. Man hours and quality are not so cut and dry. You could have 100hrs or 1000hrs into a job depending how intricate it is. I don't believe many places out there are turning away work or bumping the estimate just to blow the job off. But I will agree sometimes you pay for a name when you can get just as good or better quality down the road. But you know how boat people can be: "My boat was painted by SO and SO and everybody knows he's the best"
Old 12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Registered

I am alot like you dave. I talk to the customer about what their budget is and work with that. I come up with a design based on what they want to spend. I also just get a deposit up front and get the balance when the job is done.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
Thats about right for a de rigged TG basic color no graphics no metallics.

It really comes down to your budget, find a painter you trust and discuss the options. There is no "cost formula" that we use. Just a word of caution when dealing with a "hungry" painter. If he is any good there is no reason to be hungry, the past three years have been actually pretty good despite the economy. That six or seven thousand dollar paint job will cost far more to correct. I cant even begin to tell you how many butchered jobs i have had to pick up the pieces on. Watch out for shops that bleed money continually out of a project, this is very common and usually a slippery slope. There is no reason to have more then 50% or so in the painters hands before a job is pretty much completed. I generally work on a 30/20/50 spread where the final 50 is at the end of the project. Two things should never be compromised the quality and the budget.
Well said Dave.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Registered

Default Shark Erasing

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Well said Dave.
I'm bringing an old thread back to life but I figured it is better than starting a new one. I'm looking at a boat but I hate the paint job on the sides. I'd like to see how big of a job it is to paint the sides. I'd keep it to the easier/flat stuff. You can see what I mean in the pics below. I know it is hard to price a paint job but take a look below and let me know what it might take in your mind to get rid of the shark with a simple navy/white gloss. Also, if I were to sand it myself, how much of the bill does that save?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Please tell us you're not going to change the name on the side.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maskinut
I'm bringing an old thread back to life but I figured it is better than starting a new one. I'm looking at a boat but I hate the paint job on the sides. I'd like to see how big of a job it is to paint the sides. I'd keep it to the easier/flat stuff. You can see what I mean in the pics below. I know it is hard to price a paint job but take a look below and let me know what it might take in your mind to get rid of the shark with a simple navy/white gloss. Also, if I were to sand it myself, how much of the bill does that save?
Hahaha, I just laughed coffee through my nose, so thanks for that. LOL, that boat may be a contender for another thread here.....
Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Here's another thing to consider:

Lets just say Dave could paint a Top Gun all white in 100 hours and it comes out awesome.

Another idiot who isn't good, might take 500 hours and it comes out like crap.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shark week is coming up on Discovery channel soon..... Just throwing that out there....

Last edited by low_psi; 07-14-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.