Notices

Paypal

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Question Paypal

I have a vehicle that a guy wants to buy, and he wants to do the transaction thru paypal. Is there any down side to using paypal for this? I know it's suppose to be really safe..... but I thought I've heard of stories that there have been issues using paypal.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I have a vehicle that a guy wants to buy, and he wants to do the transaction thru paypal. Is there any down side to using paypal for this? I know it's suppose to be really safe..... but I thought I've heard of stories that there have been issues using paypal.
Thanks,
Dean
Dean your best bet is deposit thru paypal for a couple hundred bucks and the deal in Ca$h ,bank wire, cashiers check , you can get screwed thru P@ypal if the buyer files a dispute after he gets it home they will lock up the $$$ /account or pull it out of your bank account if you have them linked ... a bank wire only takes a few hours after the buyer likes what they see and pull the $$ out of the bank wire acct as soon as it lands .. its safe if your the Buyer if your the seller b carefull ...do a search i believe Ebay ed got screwed on sumtin like your thinkin about doing

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
Dean your best bet is deposit thru paypal for a couple hundred bucks and the deal in Ca$h ,bank wire, cashiers check , you can get screwed thru P@ypal if the buyer files a dispute after he gets it home they will lock up the $$$ /account or pull it out of your bank account if you have them linked ... a bank wire only takes a few hours after the buyer likes what they see and pull the $$ out of the bank wire acct as soon as it lands .. its safe if your the Buyer if your the seller b carefull ...do a search i believe Ebay ed got screwed on sumtin like your thinkin about doing

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RHR,
Thanks for the info, and that's kinda what I was remembering. I agree wire x-fer is the way to go.
Thanks,
Dean
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Dean,i Wont Take Cashiers Check Anymore,to Many Fake Ones That Look Real,like Rhr Said,wire Trans Is The Best,except For Cash,the Only Thing To Worry About With Cash Is Counterfit Bills.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

If he's got the money in a Paypal account, he's got the money in a checking account somewhere.

Depending on the amounts involved, I'd go with RHR's recommendation for a deposit to show intent. When he's ready for delivery, I like doing it at THEIR bank, and they pull the money directly out of an account and the cash comes out of the teller's hands.

The seller may end up sending you an eBay or PayPal like link that LOOKS like the real thing, but it's a REALLY good fake, and they scrape your login info to steal your moolah.

FWIW, one of the best things you can do to protect yourself is link your PayPal to a CC/checking account that is NOT linked to anything else. Keep about $100 bucks in that account. When you want to buy something, add money to it. When you recieve money, pull that money out of the account as soon as it cleared.

I am also a huge fan of this for PayPal and other accounts security:

http://vipmobile.verisign.com/learnmore.v
VeriSign is now owned by Symantec/Norton.

You have a 6 digit random code (token) generated on your smartphone, that you need to enter in AFTER your username/password at sites like PayPal and others. Unless someone gets your username, passcode, clunks you over the head and steals your smartphone, AND gets the password to your smartphone; they are not getting into your PayPal account.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-12-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RHR has it right for sure............. An interesting thing about PayPal. I have several times gotten emails claiming to be PayPal saying my account has been put on hold or suspended and they need my account details, password, etc.

Everyone should watch out for this kind of email because its bogus and in every case some theif was trying to get my info to robb me. The only time you should take a PayPal email seriously is if its addressed to you using your full name. If it is addressed to anything other than that forward it to PayPal frauddepartment and delete it.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjoe
RHR has it right for sure............. An interesting thing about PayPal. I have several times gotten emails claiming to be PayPal saying my account has been put on hold or suspended and they need my account details, password, etc.

Everyone should watch out for this kind of email because its bogus and in every case some theif was trying to get my info to robb me. The only time you should take a PayPal email seriously is if its addressed to you using your full name. If it is addressed to anything other than that forward it to PayPal frauddepartment and delete it.
I have received several of those as well. Paypal will NEVER ask you for your login info through email. If it's asking for that, then it's a fake.
Eddie
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

I would not take PayPal for anything except a deposit, and then at that, have them give it to you as a "gift" as there is no recourse to it. When stuff changes hands, I like to have a stack of dead presidents.

I have bought many things on here and other places where I have UPS'ed or FedEx'ed cash.

Do a google search on PayPal ripoffs and I think that you will be shocked.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks guys, I've already sent the NO to Paypal approach to the buyer, offered him to come look at in person, or send a rep for him. Another signal that something is wrong, he didn't even ask about the title!?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once pay pal has deposited the money into your account its yours, ITS SAFE. In case your scared call PayPal and verify. Only thing is I think paypall will keep a fee off of that. I use pay pall and its fine, are there scams yes. But when it comes to money going into your account, its YOURS once its in there.

Not saying I dont like cash or cashiers check better. But it is a technique.

Last edited by soldier4402; 12-12-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.