Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for 400hp small block for cat >

Looking for 400hp small block for cat

Notices

Looking for 400hp small block for cat

Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could we get a name of the model and manufacture?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Big block better value...great torque and simple....
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Originalronza
They tested it with 390hp small blocks at 105 mph, before fine tuning, it might be the fastest 30 + pleasure cat, will check on weight
I know what it is now. Let me know how it works out, I will be getting one of them in a year or two.

Tell Arnaldo that Phil with the Kryptonite said hey.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

LS7 small blocks cant beat them the big block is dead for this size cat hp to weight better fuel consumption and same power and torque
Attached Thumbnails Looking for 400hp small block for cat-photo0692.jpg   Looking for 400hp small block for cat-jim-stykes.jpg   Looking for 400hp small block for cat-photo0844.jpg  

Last edited by JIMKID Motorsports; 12-15-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
LS7 small blocks cant beat them the big block is dead for this size cat hp to weight better fuel consumption and same power and torque
Jim, I agree with you for these size cats the small blocks are a better power plant. Much lighter, less money, much small, and just as reliable. I'm sure they are more efficient as well. I have looked at so many recently, just trying to find the best value on a 600hp model. Right now I've looked at 3 or 4 nice fuel injected models in the 14k-18k price range. Did you build your own. Can you tell us the specs on yours and an approximate cost. I know you have been really happy with yours
Old 12-15-2011, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Could we get a name of the model and manufacture?
A 30' AMT cat per the picture in a prior post in this thread. Those AMT cats were/are very good.

But JimKID's 30' Skater with his small blocks is definitely the sh*t, I really like that boat and set-up, a great size, power, and drive combo.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Jim, I agree with you for these size cats the small blocks are a better power plant. Much lighter, less money, much small, and just as reliable. I'm sure they are more efficient as well. I have looked at so many recently, just trying to find the best value on a 600hp model. Right now I've looked at 3 or 4 nice fuel injected models in the 14k-18k price range. Did you build your own. Can you tell us the specs on yours and an approximate cost. I know you have been really happy with yours
Light - yup check that box.

Just as reliable- well know in 10 years

More efficient - it take X fuel to make X HP not sure they are any more efficient per HP than big blocks- check a maybe

Cheaper - I dont know for sure that its less money.

I think you'll find that turnkey small blocks marinized in the 5-600H range to be 20K +

Ralyar LSM-550
Mast 600
ILmor LS series

Pretty sure all of these crack 20K when delivered ready to run.

UD
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Light - yup check that box.

Just as reliable- well know in 10 years

More efficient - it take X fuel to make X HP not sure they are any more efficient per HP than big blocks- check a maybe

Cheaper - I dont know for sure that its less money.

I think you'll find that turnkey small blocks marinized in the 5-600H range to be 20K +

Ralyar LSM-550
Mast 600
ILmor LS series

Pretty sure all of these crack 20K when delivered ready to run.

UD
Those motors are out of my price range .ive found 3. Good builders who can produce 600hp complete for 18k. Would love to go with mast if they were more competitive. Looking to build a custom predator, with a cool bussel making it over 33' loa, with tunnel extension, full windshield, surface drives. This boat will be as cool as Jim's skater and every bit as fast. With the 600's were hoping for mid 130s for speed,
Old 12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say I am a little disappointed in the numbers that have been offered by LS builders on this forum. When a crate motor offered by GM is 430 hp configured with a restrictive intake/air cleaner, and stock cast iron manifolds with low flow cats etc. it seems a little odd when a custom builder totes marinized versions of the same motors in the same or close to the same HP rating. Even GM offers it with just a cam change at 480 hp, and everyone in the automotive arena knows that with just a cold air intake high flow cats, some minor exhaust work, and a more aggresive tune these are well over 450 hp at the flywheel. I would expect a marine application for these motors (provided they do not have to live up to some crazy emission standards) to start at 500 HP (for the 6.2) and go up from there.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Registered

Those motors are out of my price range .ive found 3. Good builders who can produce 600hp complete for 18k. Would love to go with mast if they were more competitive. Looking to build a custom predator, with a cool bussel making it over 33' loa, with tunnel extension, full windshield, surface drives. This boat will be as cool as Jim's skater and every bit as fast. With the 600's were hoping for mid 130s for speed,
Awesome. That was what I figured. I dont know if the speed that you are hoping for will come to pass, but I think it is certainly possible considering the Stihl Skater ran 130 or better with a set of 525's.

Are you doing the C306? with the full windshield? That would be sick.

Good luck with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.