Notices

Wide Loads

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a business that does nothing but haul oversize loads in all the states east of Texas and this is a real can of worms for a private individual with no concept of the penalties they "can" throw at you if they want to. When it comes to recreational type boats that are in excess of 8'6" in width it is really a very gray area as far as enforcement. I say gray because legally in most states anything wider than 8'6 has to have a permt, but they seldom go after the oversize recreational guy using a non commercial type tow vehicle, but the one time they do, they'll make a real believer out of you. It's just another case of they have the laws to back them up if they want to enforce them, but when it comes to the type boats and tow vehicles used by most of the people who frequent this forum, enforcement is usually a non issue. Here's a link that talks about DOT registration among other federal requirements.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...tion-USDOT.htm

Last edited by heavyhauler; 12-18-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 318 Posts

heavyhauler is right. having dealt with it with the race boats I learned one thing. no matter the situation with the DOT, you are wrong and they are right. if you get pulled by the guy having a bad day, prepare for impound and bail money. if you get pulled by one who feels OK about your rig you may slide and go on. it is a roll of the dice and up to the guy pulling you over and as said they have the laws behind them. as of late they have threatened that any vehicle with air brakes (motorhomes, etc) have to have a CDL or face fines. your rig is a revenue source now days so do you feel lucky?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by notda1
Was Mercury able to get the permits without a DOT number ? I wanted permits but with no DOT number couldn't seem to get them . Called a service and was willing to pay , just had no luck being a private carrier .
www.coast2coasttruckingpermits.com
Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for stepping a little off topic...but are we supposed to stop and go through scales? I never have, no one has stopped me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CNC
Sorry for stepping a little off topic...but are we supposed to stop and go through scales? I never have, no one has stopped me.
Only if your tow vehicle or trailer has a commercial plate/registration.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Only if your tow vehicle or trailer has a commercial plate/registration.
Correct...same in Canada

AND I think even if it hasn't...if you have any permit ( ie overwidth or overlength)
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Correct...same in Canada

AND I think even if it hasn't...if you have any permit ( ie overwidth or overlength)
You sir are correct!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Some states are pressing that if your truck is in a company name , it's commercial
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
I have a blanket permit for VA but have never been stopped. Was stopped once out of state but fortunately had permits. I think it was Alabama by a DOT officer.

I use Mercury Permits and they are very reasonable. Fill out the form and they will email you the permits. Pretty easy for the peace of mind.....
Do you have website or contact info. for this service.

Originally Posted by sean stinson
Thank you for the link just the type of information I was looking for.

The earlier comment about the DOT and the law is absolutely correct. They will ruin your year if they really want to!

It is so nice to have everything in order and not have to be fearful.... is my rig and boat at risk for impound. Definitely would suck if your going to a destination to have fun only to get your stuff taken to an impound yard.

KAP
Old 12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Do you have website or contact info. for this service.

KAP
http://www.mercurypermits.net/

and they give discounts to BoatUS members

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.