Technical assistance PLEASE!

Notices

Technical assistance PLEASE!

Old 06-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Technical assistance PLEASE!

Hi Everyone,

I know it is not often that I ask for technical assistance but I am in a bit of a quandry. Let me begin with the gear cases. As you may know I have a 24 Skater with twin 225 Pro Max motors. I took all my compenants off my old 2.5 carb motors and bolted them to the 225's. Have been running them 2 full seasons and have never had a lick of trouble. After completing the NYC Poker Run on Saturday, as we were idling in the port motor quit and would not re-fire. Went back to the dock on starboard motor. Checked all tether switches and plug wires and replaced the plugs and checked for fuel flow and spark. All was good. It would only fire when you applied alot of throttle. Idled out and fired it up in gear, got on plane ran perfect. Went to the ramp and it idled and fired fine as well. Came home to flush it on the hose and gave me just a little trouble but then was okay. Any ideas?

Second, the drives CLE's. I am a believer in changing gear lube religously. Only had about 8 hours or so on this oil but I changed it anyway. Upon draining I found the oil very dark in color in both drives with a slight silver tint but little to no metal on the bottom drain plugs (magnets). The oil usually comes out cleaner than this. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Shane
Old 06-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Sorry to hear about the troubles , that sucks, on the gear cases, I use Merc. perforance gear lube, I change my cle about every month, Mine to comes out dark , but ever saw any silver in the oil, I would look into that Shane, as far as the motor, goes did you check linkage or timing?
Old 06-17-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

Mike,

The "little bit" of silver is not too concerning because there was NO METAL on the magnet and you have to expect a little wear and tear. I am glad to hear that your oil is dark in color too. That to me means I am okay in that department.

As far as timing is concerned, no I did not check it. I will need assistance there as adjusting is pretty tricky with that linkage. Where should the timing be?

Thanks for the help.

Shane
Old 06-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Registered

Shane , just talked to a friend of mine, he thinks the timing should be around 22-24 degrees also check your temp sender which I think tells your ecm how much fuel to send to the injectors, good luck

Last edited by skatermike24; 06-17-2002 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:28 AM
Registered

I just spoke to John Tiger, he is a friend that lives up the road on the same lake as I do. He used to write the Outboard Tech column for HOTBOAT now writes same column for Family And Performace Boating Magazine. He said it is a symptom called heat swell, that happens in carbureated high performance outboards. Apparently, if the cool temperature and humidity level are just right, when combined with the heat from the motor, there becomes a positive pressure situation in the carbs that restrict incoming fuel even though the fuel pump is runing well. It produces the same net effect as a stuck float (what I thought it was). Incidentally, there are floats in those carbs. He said not to worry and it is a freak occurrence, as all parts must be just right for it to occur. I also asked him about the drive oil and he said it is fine.

Thanks for the help Mike I appreciate it. Now I DEFINITELY feel better!

Shane
Old 06-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

I thought you had efi's
Old 06-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Registered

I've had my motors now for a few years, like yourself never had any problem, but I know my day is coming soon, I'm gonna pull mine apart probably after the 4th before they come apart on there own. Hey where are all the pics from the run