Notices

Noise and Neighbors

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

I should also point out the other end of the spectrum.....took my boat up to a friends cottage for a weekend.....they're in a tight little bay with four other cottages all shoulder to shoulder.....when I was mucking around anywhere near the dock I would hit the silent choice to be respectful.....a couple hours in to the first day the owner of one of the other cottages marches out to the dock (I see him coming and think oh oh) and tells me "theres no need to make it quiet around here, let 'er rip buddy!" and gives me a big thumbs up.....so it was open exhaust for the rest of the weekend....made sure everybody in the bay got lots of rides it was a great weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Noise and Neighbors-labour-day-weekend-2005-014.jpg  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 12-21-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you retirees and you loud boats!!! geesshh! When are you gonna learn!

just kidding! Tell that communist to go stick it!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I was returning to the CT River from the east end of Long Island one day and docked the boat while I ran to get the trailer. While I was doing that a small fishing boat had pulled in right behind me. One of the 'ol timers was hanging at the bow drinking a Coke in a cup when I fired up the engines, it startled him so much he jerked the cup of soda back and drenched himself. He wasn't mad but I made it a point to make sure if there were people around, especially those who I thought had no clue what was going to happen or had small kids I always warned them that it was going to be loud before I fired up the engines. Never had an issue after that.

Also agree with those who said that the loud inconsiderate ones who make it hard for the rest of us when noise laws come down the road. In CT we now have a noise law.

Also agree with those who are puzzled by those who buy homes next to an airport, et al, and complain. I live near Lime Rock, a race track in upper CT. A lawyer bought a house directly across from the track and sued it for noise stating that on Sunday's it interfered with her ability to worship. She won and now the track can't host a race or club event on Sundays.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy
A lawyer bought a house directly across from the track and sued it for noise stating that on Sunday's it interfered with her ability to worship. She won and now the track can't host a race or club event on Sundays.

I'm lost for words. Oh, well, happens once a year.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor

I'm lost for words.
So were a lot of people when it happened. And the lawyers on this site wonder why some here are losing respect for their profession.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

As a kid growing up on the north shore of Lake Simcoe in Ontario I remember with great fondness the sound of open piped boats ripping down the bay. My brother and I would go running down to the dock anytime something unusual showed up. My parents would roll their eyes and occasionally complain that the noise was unnecessary. We'd explain very carefully to them how impressive some of that machinery was and how much work went into building those pieces of art. The didn't buy it.

One day without telling them we loaded our boat on a trailer and returned with it a week later - motor raised, nose cone and low water pickup added and two big holes drilled in the shaft to relieve the exhaust. They were not happy...

One summer evening a bright yellow Apache with bright red stand-up bolsters came blasting by, it was unbelievably loud. I loved it and spent the weekend chasing it down just to hear it start up. That was around 88/89, never did find out who owned that boat.

Back then 100MPH was a huge deal. Now when I go and visit I can sit and watch literally dozens of triple digit capable boats go by each day. The rigs running up Kempenfelt seem to stick mostly to the middle of the bay so the noise levels aren't all that loud. 20 years on and my brother and I still jump up from the dinner table to catch a glimpse of what is running by. That'll never get old.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This past summer at the Naples town docks in Maine i started my scarab and a lady standing towards the back of the boat jumped and screamed! When I turned and looked at her she gave me a nasty look and said something but I couldnt hear her anyways

I guess now that I think about it I could have yelled "fire in the hole!"

My mistake!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a set of muffs before I came to Florida for the winter. Sux to cave in but... I did and I even like them now
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies.. Makes me feel like I am not alone on this issue.. Something beautiful about the sound of a well tuned engine.. I think it brings out the child in us all.. Remembering those days when you got a glimps of your 1st real performance boat.. I agree that everyone should be respectful and that also includes those people complaining.. If you are being polite and courtious to those people around you, then they should also appreciate the fact that you are doing your best to keep the noise to a minimum. Most of those people probably never owned a boat or fast car and are just miserable.. or jelous!!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog88
I bought a set of muffs before I came to Florida for the winter. Sux to cave in but... I did and I even like them now
Better have those yanked off before you come back to Buckeye Ocean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.